Proper dKh?

hkgar

Right now my calcium level is too high (520). My question is should I strive to get my alkalinity in proper balance which would be about 22 dKh. Right now it is about 11. I use the chem calculator to determine what the proper balance should be.
Or, just maintain the alkalinity at a level to maintain a ph of 8.3.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

stanlalee

dont worry about absolute "balance". Balance is based on uptake ratio. Focus on "range". As long as your calcium is within range about 400-500 (which I consider 520ppm close enough) and your dKH within range 7-12dKH there is no need to shoot for absolute balance. there is no real advantage to maintaining 420 ppm ca/8dH (balanced) opposed to 460ppm ca/8dKH (technically unbalanced) other than if you are using a 2part or calcium reactor the balanced ratio will remain balanced and the unbalanced will remain unbalanced until fixed. no adverse effects on the tank though as long as both are adequate. If you arent getting precipitation there is little chance you have either too high to be harmful

btldreef

I have a similar thread going and the general response on this forum and others has been if everything else is in the "normal" range, the calcium is as huge of an issue as people think.
My tank is doing fine except my calcium is always high. So far so good, so I'm not stressing anymore and neither should you