Proper lighting for a 55gal reef.

gradth

Im looking at MH's but am not sure the wattage or the details that I would need. Want to do a retrofit set up.
Can someone tell me the proper details of what I should look for and also good places to look for them to buy?

gatorwpb

2x150w would be plenty. google hello lights for a great selection of reflectors and retrofit kits. they have great customer service too

gradth

Whats the difference between electronic and magnetic. I see both those options at Hellolights.com.

snakeblitz33

AHH!!! You can't post other competitors sites!!!!
As for what is the difference between electronic and magnetic -
Electronic ballasts control the flow of electricity electronically. They run cooler, they are more expensive but they have a fuse that keeps your ballast from burning out. They don't take up as many amps on a circuit breaker, they don't do the cycleing stages for dying lights.
Magnetic ballasts are cheaper, they get much, much hotter. They use more amps which means your electric bill is going to be slightly bigger than the other. If there is a problem with the lamp, your ballast will cycle until you change the bulb. You have to mount the ballast in a metal box with a fan to cool it more likely then not.
Electronic ballasts cost more, but are more effective and don't use as much electricity. They are already mounted in a metal case with a fan, and all of their wiring is already done.
I personally will pay the little extra for the electronics, rather then the magnetics, though if you are into some serious lighting - and you need a lot of it on a budget, get the magnetics.