Pros and Cons of nudibranch?

coolguy818

I had a Purple Nudibranch once........ The are very difficult to maintain.... you need pristine water conditions. Salinity can't be too high, or too low.... They don't have any tolerance for fluctuation.
Needless to say my $20 nudibranch was a $20 meal for my Hermits..... lasted 72 hours.
Bad Expierence.

shrimpi

I bought a lettuce nudi, Ive had him for about 2months. He occaisionally get sucked into the overflow but I made some mods to the box so its safer. My other critters dont bother him at all and hes not toxic.
Most of the very colorful nudis have very specific diets and are toxic of they perish... could be very problematic. Ive heard of some people keeping the nice colored nudis, but they take great care to make sure they survive. Powerheads are a nudi blender too fyi.

heres some 'cute nudi' pics I found. they are tempting.

kwiknezy1

Yeah i found out the other day about the Nudi -Blender.. The little sucker got sucked right up into the Power Head and well all i have left of him now is a very small peice.. funny thing though is that he is still alive.. just much smaller than he originally was..LOL

fishwanabe

KwikNezy1-OMG that is amazing....
Shrimpi-thanks for the pics, they are sooo cool, I want one even more now, but they do seem to be a high maintanence item!!

shrimpi

Originally Posted by KwikNezy1
Yeah i found out the other day about the Nudi -Blender.. The little sucker got sucked right up into the Power Head and well all i have left of him now is a very small peice.. funny thing though is that he is still alive.. just much smaller than he originally was..LOL

Ive heard of alot of people saying that this happened and the 'peice' of the nudi is still alive. Kinda like a worm? lol you can chop it in half and each part goes on as a separate critter!

kwiknezy1

I know. Isnt it weird.. I was totally amazed. My GF told me that it got sucked into the powerhead and i was pissed.. but the other day i was looking in the tank, and guess what i saw, a peice ( the head i guess ) was about a 1/4 in long. and growing.. i wonder if he will remember to stay away from the power head the next time...LOL

shrimpi

not toxic. they are kinda in thier own little club. they are a nice alternative if you really want a slug. i love mine

heres some lettuce nudi pics .. mine looks like the last one.

A

alix

theyre cool... ive wanted one for awhile but i read all this general nudibranch stuff saying theyre toxic and theyll get sucked up in the powerheads and nuke everything or that theyre slowly starving in the tank. but if they eat algea sheets.... but i'd still be scared of it like climbing onto the intake because theres food stuck to itand getting sucked up.
so idk. i'll figure out that problem before i buy one.

nygel

Originally Posted by Coolguy818
I had a Purple Nudibranch once........ The are very difficult to maintain.... you need pristine water conditions. Salinity can't be too high, or too low.... They don't have any tolerance for fluctuation.
Needless to say my $20 nudibranch was a $20 meal for my Hermits..... lasted 72 hours.
Bad Expierence.
wow, do you have any pics of it at all? tell me anything you can about it for the amount of time you had it. I'm quite interested in these although I know they eat sponges (but i can buy a huge sponge for liek $10 around here). They look rediculously awesome and just want one really bad. also, did it nuke when dead?

A

alix

hmm i was looking at my tank and all my intakes have pretty tiny slots in the gaurds are they strong enough (like a snail) not to get sucked through or will they just go through the slots? because i really wany one!

nygel

I believe they arent as strong as snails, so they could possibly get sucked through still.... mine intake got overran with plants so I'm pretty sure nothing big will go through it (its a HOB fuge anyway) Diet is more of a concern than anything really.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by alix
hmm i was looking at my tank and all my intakes have pretty tiny slots in the gaurds are they strong enough (like a snail) not to get sucked through or will they just go through the slots? because i really wany one!

they are like slimer goo-balls when they get stuck to a intake. I cut a bioball in half and stuck it under the Utube on the in-tank side to stop him from getting sucked in. he was getting sucked up against the bioball and stuck there like a snotty mess. I had to shut off the filter, take off the bioball/mod and let him slowly come off into the DT. Even if they dont get sucked in, they will get sucked 'up against'. Mine sometimes comes detached from the rocks/glass and get stuck in the 'flow' of the powerhead and gets blown around for a minute too.
Putting sponges over powerhead intakes would be best, but they can still get sucked up against the sponge.
I love mine and didnt mind making the little mods. ive got the bioball on the overflow u-tube and some live rock in the overflow box too so he can grab onto the rock before getting sucked up against the bioball.

shrimpi

heres some pics i just snapped of mine.' he moves too much so I did the best i could
Sorry pics are gargantuan.