Protein Skimmer: Berlin Airlift

chandler04

Now, Im not quite sure how the in the tank skimmers work, so if anyone knows, please hlpe me out. Does the water like flow in through the top like an overflow box, and come another end or sumthing? Do they need a pump? Do they work okay? It doesnt need to be super good, it just needs to work. Im thinking it should be alright. Also, would it be worth it to buy a $30.00 in aqaurium protein skimmer, then pay for the air pump too, or just get something else? Thanx.

kaiser

I'm interested in getting one of these for my future 29 G. Do they require an air pump?
There aren't a lot of small protein skimmers in my area. Which is better: Berlin Airlift or Seaclone 100?

chandler04

Well, I believe the Seaclone isnt great, but it is hang on and it uses venturi rather than an airstone. I just want a nice cheap one though.

humuhumu

I hate to be the one to tell you this but...
Years ago I tried to start off with one of the air lift type of skimmers. Aside frome being difficult to adjust, they require a lot more maintenance and their overall performance is poor. I have at least 2 sitting somewhere in my garage.
If you want a cheap skimmer that works well, I would recommend the bakpak from CPR. They run about $100 and work very well. I have one on my 20g reef, it's been running for about 8 years now without a problem.
Unfortunatly a good skimmers cost more, but are worth it to ensure the health of the fish and invertebrates we keep.