Protein Skimmer Calibration

sailfin

I have just recently got an Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Multi and when I turn on the pump it produces a lot of bubbles but it is more of a wet foam than dry. The collection cup fills up within minutes and the foam is so wet it causes the cup to leak around the base. Does anyone have one of these? Does anyone know how to control the consistancy of the foam. The manual states that the pump can be used to do so, but doesn't say how. Please help.

dogstar

Most tanks when newly being skimmed will produce wet skimmate until it gets cleaner and then it will get dryer. If you can raise just the colection cup some could help dry it or if the pump has a air hose going to it then try to reduce the amount of air being pulled in by the pump.

popnfrresh

I also have a AM TF1000M and i love it. I really cannot calibrate it wrong. it always pulls out something. If you have added any of the stress coats or anything of that nature it will do that. I used a chlorine detox by accident and it did that to my skimmer for 3 days. I put a small plastic cup in a pint glass and put them in the collection cup which denied any of the liquid into the cup. When the water level in the skimmer was low the air pressure forced some air out of the collection cup. After a day or 2 it worked normally.

sailfin

Thanks I will try to let it run for a little longer before turning it off. I haven't added nor do I add anything that should cause it to act the way it does. I'll keep you updated of the outcome.