Protein Skimmer HELP!

rebelprettyboy

Shoulda just started a dang thread by now for this im asking so many questions...
Neways What skimmer should be looking to get? sump/refuge will be about a 20-30 gal not sure yet...
Whats the best model skimmers and what not..
lookin to spend 150-250

rebelprettyboy

AquaC EV-120 Protein Skimmer with Mag-Drive 5 Pump 40-150 18" ** $339.99
Is that a good skimmer? And also whats a JG fitting for it?

yearofthenick

Go with an ASM skimmer - excellent product at a great price.... you can get a really good one within your price range, sometimes you can get a brand new one online... I bought my ASM G3 skimmer (rated 250 gallons) for $269.99+shipping - that was the buy-it-now price.

greenreefer

Bronco recently recommended the Octopus 200 for me (125 gallon with 40 gallon sump). It's in your price range. I've read several good reviews.

jaymz

I have just used the corallife superskimmer.. it skims like a champ. only problem is micro bubbles but if you are putting it in a sump then you should have a bubble trap in there anyway.
In the price range.

netimreefer

hey rebel I am in the same boat the hardest thing I am dealing with is trying to find one thats foot print will fit in my 29 gallon sump

stanlalee

It would help if you gave the size of the display. Do you plan on using the sump as a fuge ect or will the whole thing be deticated to a skimmer and return pump? If you have room and the Octopus NW200 is a monster of a skimmer for the $220 bucks it cost. Its comparable to an ASM G4 or Euroreef RS180 which cost $390 and $465 respectively. $4 Enkamat PF4 and larger $2 1/4 hose adapter for air intake turns it into an even bigger moster. thats going to be the largest and highest capacity reputable skimmer you can get for under $250 new. It will fit a 30g long (or any sump that is at least 12" deep front to back). not sure if the demensions of a 29g.

hurt

My Octopus NW-200 sits in a 10g. I lucked out and only paid $179 for it when it was on sale. It's a bad arse skimmer for the price when you mod it. You won't find a better skimmer for the money.

cveverly

Reef Octopus Extreme 160 runs about $269. From what I understand it can run with the big dogs. Uses a Sicce PSK-2500 pump with a bubble plate and pulls 35scfh to 37scfh with a pin wheel and 40scfh to 50scfh with a mesh wheel. Not sure what size tank you have but this should work well for 130 gallons or less.
I am considering adding a sump and going this route myself.

hurt

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2750819
don't mean to steal the thread, but do one of have a good link for the mods to be done to a octopus NW002?
Google: Octo NW200 Step by Step to 40scfh
Basically you take the impeller out and pry off the first needle wheel and leave the second on. Use a knife and do it slowly. Once the top needle wheel is off, you can apply layers on enkamat. I used three. Cut a hole in the center of each so it can fit around the top of the impeller then cut off the edges. You do not want any rubbing at all. Use fishing line(at least 10lb test) to tie the enkamat to the remaining needle wheel. I used a needle to thread the fishing line and I was very redundant looping the fishing line around every needle wheel at least a couple of times. Then you must replace the stock venturi. I went to Lowes and bought a male to male 1/4' water fitting. Drill a hole in the pumps intake and then put this fitting in. Then use 1/4' tubing to attach to the venturi for air supply. This will let the pump suck a lot more air(which is the basic principle of all skimmers). I then took a dremel bored out the elbow that connects from the top of the pump to the skimmer. The original design was too restrictive. I also bored out the top of the volute. Keep in mine this was done on the older version. I'm not sure how the newer version is, but I believe they have put on a new elbow from the pump to the skimmer, so you may not have to do that mod.
The Octo extremes and MSX do not require modding. They are truly plug and play and sicce pumps rock.