Protein Skimmer HELP!

gatorwpb

I have a EuroReef RS-100 in a 20g with a full fuge which is under my 65g. It pulls some nasty stuff and is completely un-modded. WIth some mesh it supposedly will do even better. But at this point, I dont need it to do any better. SPS is doing great and the gunk it pulls is nasty. I may one day buy a replacement impeller and try the mesh mod. but im lazy lol
a pick right after cleaning...

cveverly

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2750914
MSX 160... without a doubt
joncat24,
I see you recommend the MSX skimmers a lot. Looks like a good brand but what is the difference between the MSX line and the Octopus line of skimmers. It looks like they use the same pumps, look the same and even have the same measurements. It even appears they are the same cost. Are they the same skimmer under two names?

joncat24

the Msx and the octopus extreme's are built in the same place. They have the same pumps and all. I live close to Marine Solutions and go there alot and they are really nice people to deal with. All in all, though, they are the same skimmer.

cveverly

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2751946
the Msx and the octopus extreme's are built in the same place. They have the same pumps and all. I live close to Marine Solutions and go there alot and they are really nice people to deal with. All in all, though, they are the same skimmer.

Thanks for the feedback. That looked to be the case but I wanted to see if you knew for sure. Thanks again!

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2747773
Wheres whatupdoc? Aint he the man in this forum. very time I read some threads in here he knows everything!

Well...... I'm flattered, but by no means do I know everything. I'm just a dumn old redneck. I guess I just skipped over this one. Sorry!
The Oct Extremes are a very good out of the box skimmer. That will compete and even out compete some much higher priced skimmers. Likewise the NW line of Octos are a little cheaper and can be modded to do just about the same as the extremes. I have the NW200 on my 135 fully modded and it pulls out some nasty junk. This is the funnel neck version. As stated the MSX skimmers are EXACTLY the same as the Octo Extremes, just a matter of if you want to pay the extra to get it from MSX.

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2753696
Well...... I'm flattered, but by no means do I know everything. I'm just a dumn old redneck. I guess I just skipped over this one. Sorry!
The Oct Extremes are a very good out of the box skimmer. That will compete and even out compete some much higher priced skimmers. Likewise the NW line of Octos are a little cheaper and can be modded to do just about the same as the extremes. I have the NW200 on my 135 fully modded and it pulls out some nasty junk. This is the funnel neck version. As stated the MSX skimmers are EXACTLY the same as the Octo Extremes, just a matter of if you want to pay the extra to get it from MSX.
Wat Mods did u do with ur NW200?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2753730
Wat Mods did u do with ur NW200?
there are only three common mods: mesh the impeller with Ekamat PF4, drill and fit a 1/4 hose adapter on the fitting in front of the impeller to replace the venturi and smaller hose fitting on the stock pump and thirdly dremeling out some material from the elbow that fits the pump to the skimmer for higher flow. if its working so well you cant get the water level low enough with the stock adjusting riser tube you may have to cut down the output pipe as well. I would only do one mode at a time and stop when your satisfied.
A MSX and modfied NW 200 are going to perform simular (air draw on the NW200 is going to be simular to the stock MSX pump with pinwheel). the NW 200 body is bigger but the MSX neck is bigger. The MSX will draw less watts. MSX will draw more air with mesh propeller. MSX also cost about $50 more. MSX is much more compact as well if space is a concern. Modding the NW200 only cost about $5 in parts ($4 for a sheet of PF4 and $1, more like $0.60, for the hose adapter. the rest is manual labor). The decision is really a matter of if you can come up with that $50. I know I'd much rather not modify. then again Octo NW 200 are easy to come by and find discounted/used. I'm starting to think MSX are limited editions or something.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2753858
there are only three common mods: mesh the impeller with Ekamat PF4, drill and fit a 1/4 hose adapter on the fitting in front of the impeller to replace the venturi and smaller hose fitting on the stock pump and thirdly dremeling out some material from the elbow that fits the pump to the skimmer for higher flow. if its working so well you cant get the water level low enough with the stock adjusting riser tube you may have to cut down the output pipe as well. I would only do one mode at a time and stop when your satisfied.
]
I did the mesh mod, the venturi mod, the gate valve mod and I'm toying with the funnel raised in the compartment, also I sealed up the connection to the neck and the funnel. Then after a while of skimming with the octo 3000, I accidentally broke all the needles off the impellar. I ordered the sicce pumpto run instead as it's supposed to be better. The ONLY difference I can see is it uses less power, and has les flow. I actually had much more water flowing through my skimmer with the octo. The air draw is the sanme, actually the last week or so it has slumped off and is actually pulling only around 32 scfh, less than what the octo did.
The mods are real easy to do. As stated, do one, then wait and then do another if you want to.
A MSX and modfied NW 200 are going to perform simular (air draw on the octo is going to be simular to the stock MSX pump with pinwheel). the NW 200 body is bigger but the MSX neck is bigger. The MSX will draw less watts and wil draw more air with mesh propeller. MSX also cost about $50 more. MSX is much more compact as well if space is a concern.

The new MSX's and the Octo Extremes are the SAME EXACT SKIMMER. The sticker really is the only difference. Plus the MSX are 50 bucks more...for what?? They are made in the same place. Now the NW line of octo's there is some differences. Even between the NW line.The Funnel Neck NW's are different from the regular NW octo's. You don't need to dremel out the 90 in the funnel neck, but would in the old version. The dimensions are the same on both the F.N. version and the old version of NW's. You can also do the gate valve mod if you like, I did it on mine and what a breeze to adjust. All the mods except the GV mod can be done for little to nothing maybe 10 bucks including enkamat, Tye wraps, barb fitting and air line.

rebelprettyboy

So if I dont wanna do any Mods.. Get the MSX? I really suck at DIY type stuff and would prolly mess it up. Or is the NW200 good to go out of the box?

wattsupdoc

The octo extreme is ready to go out of the box. The NW will be also, but not at the same level of performance.

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2753869
The new MSX's and the Octo Extremes are the SAME EXACT SKIMMER. The sticker really is the only difference. Plus the MSX are 50 bucks more...for what?? They are made in the same place. Now the NW line of octo's there is some differences. Even between the NW line.The Funnel Neck NW's are different from the regular NW octo's. You don't need to dremel out the 90 in the funnel neck, but would in the old version. The dimensions are the same on both the F.N. version and the old version of NW's. You can also do the gate valve mod if you like, I did it on mine and what a breeze to adjust. All the mods except the GV mod can be done for little to nothing maybe 10 bucks including enkamat, Tye wraps, barb fitting and air line.
I was talking about the Octopus NW 200 modified vs the MSX/Octo Extreme stock not the MSX vs Octo Extreme

matt b

http:///forum/post/2753696
I saw a thread on -- of you showing all your mods on the octo. I have a MSX and it is well worth it but there is alot of tinkering to get it working like it says it does.

joncat24

http:///forum/post/2753869
actually the MSX skimmers are cheaper than the octo extremes and you get free shipping now, too. Need to recheck the websites from time to time.
The msx 200 is 279 and the octo 200 is 289, the 250 model is 399 at marine soltuions and $419 for the octo.