Protein Skimmer question

partonks

I just started my new tank up with a protein skimmer and live rock. I have everything working, but I'm curious as to how much the skimmer should be doing. On some settings, it will fill up the collection cup in minutes (pbviously this is wrong) or I can get it to do almost nothing. I wanted to find out how it should look when working properly. Right now, I have it so it bubbles up into the collection cup about every 2-5 seconds. However, no appreciable amount of liquid is released into the collection cup, just some bubbles each time. Just wanted to get some other opinions.
Thanks,
Kevin

tangman99

partonks,
I'm not an expert on skimmers as I have just added my first to my tank, but I do know that you want to collect dry foam in your collection cup. You do not want liquid to be collected.
Tangman :D

partonks

I have a Prizm skimmer which I saw some traffic on below. Unfortunately, if I put the water to the suggested level, I get a lot of liquid in my collection cup (a lot being about 1 centimeter of dirty water overnight). Thanks for the note.
Kevin

flydan

Hey,
If you are just setting up a new tank you probably don't want to run the skimmer until it's done cycling. When you do start it you wont be collecting much at first since there isn't anything in your tank to skim. My reef has been set up since April and I only have to empty my collection cup once a week.
The other replies you got are correct. Only foam should rise up into the collection cup.
Dan'l

partonks

Thanks, I am setting up a new tank and I was actually advised to skim it aggressively during the cycling process and to do water changes. I have read here to avoid both of these things. I'll try not using the skimmer, I just started cyling the tank yesterday, so obviously, I didn't get too far with the skimmer.
Thanks,
Kevin

tangman99

That was strange for someone to tell you that. You do not want to skim during the cycle and do not do water changes either. Water changes will increase the time it takes for your tank to cycle.
Once your tank has completed it's cycle and you have nothing by nitrates, you will want to start doing water changes at whatever intervals and percentage you think is best. Some do smaller (10%) changes every week and some do monthly 25% changes. I'm a monthly person myself. If you put additives in your tank like stress coat, you will want to stop skimming for a few days at it will skim it out and stress coat will actually cause a foam from hell situation.
Tangman :D

partonks

Thank you all very much for the advice, one last thing, I was adivsed by the same store manager to user pH buffer and alkalinity buffer during the curing process or I would "kill my rock". I received different advice from someone today. My pH seems normal, possibly a little high and alkalinity is the same, any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Kevin

flydan

Hey,
You don't need any additives while you're cycling. If anything you may want to set up a kalkwasser drip. (If this was in your plan anyway.) If your lr is getting some lighting and water movement it will cycle just fine. (Good water movement will help coraline algea spread and surface water movement will keep water oxygenated.)
Dan'l

dasnake03

Since you have live rock,that is what you are using to cycle your tank. You should run your skimmer,and don't do water changes. When I reset-up my 90 gallon FOWLR, I put the 125lbs. of live rock that I had from the tank before and 100lbs. of live sand,in the tank with a little cycle,and I ran the skimmer the whole time,my tank cycled in a few days. The skimmer that I have on the tank is a Berlin Turbo hang on.

scooter blenny

As soon as you start cycling your tank with live fish, i would advise to skim it aggresivly, but once cycling is done cut it back, an over effecient skimmer is not good for a reef system