protein skimmer

illismike

hey. im new to running a protein skimmer. i currently have a cpr bak-pak. its hooked up and everthing. bubbles under the collection cup. but the only thing is, nothing is going in the collection cup, the water isnt reaching that high. my tank was just set up with cured live rock about 4 days ago. should i not expect anything in the collection cup for a while due to my tank still cycling? help would be appreciated. thanx.

mombostic

When I first started running my skimmer, it took almost three weeks for the foam to actually start collecting.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there aren't any biological compounds for the skimmer to be skimming yet, and that's why nothing is happening. I also found I had to adjust the flow pretty frequently at first to get it right. I had a pretty high mixture of air at first for foam to collect, but now I have gradually perfected the flow.
Just be patient, read your owner's manual, and good luck!

snipe

Since your protein skimmer is new it can take hourse or weeks for it break in before producing anything. And it most likely wont produce anything until there is fish in the tank. I would let it run through the cycle so it will break in once it starts working turn it off until the cycle is over.