Protein Skimmer?

shoorty069

Okay, next investment to out 55 gallon tank is a Skimmer. However, im not sure which one to get. Any suggestions or preferences would help. Our tank is going to be a Fowlr. Theres a Emperor400 filter with 2 biowheels in the tank now. Any name brands i should look at / stay clear of?
Thanksss
<3ryry

weberian

Is this a hang-on tank type or an in-sump model you're looking for? I use an in-sump Excalibur skimmer for my system volume of 45-gal, a little less than you. I am happy with it but It's my first skimmer for what that's worth. I'm on approximately day 35 with it. I'm still getting brown stringy algae or bacteria. I stimulated and simulated a storm event in the tank today - tried to particle-filter as much as that stuff as I could. I see more stormy weather in the week ahead.

shoorty069

Im not sure what i want, I have a hang off the back filter, but im not sure what a sump is or what you need to have one and such, can you possibly go into detail?
<3ryry

sundance1

I have an Excalibur that hangs on the back of my tank,it has a box with a small powerhead that hangs into the tank.It is working great.

chipmaker

I installed a coralife super skimmer 65 on my 16 gal and its easy to setup and works fine, and the price was right ...about 88 bucks.........or you could also go with the typical CPR bak pak types, but the needle wheel is just so much more efficient......The coralife super skimmers can be hung n the tank or installed in a sump, which you evidently do not have since you asked what a sump was, so if you ever added a sump the skimmer could easily be moved to it.