Protein Skimmer

famous

Im just starting my first tank it is 29 gal. I have my live sand and about 30lbs of LR. From what im reading on here it looks like with a smaller a tank a skimmer is a must? I have not added fish yet and think im going to just stick with fish for awhile. Maybe someday in the future go for the coral... Just wanted to know what I need to get going on the right foot.
Thanks everyone!
Kyle

1journeyman

Actually, a skimmer is a must on any size tank.
If you are going to be VERY diligent with water changes, and are going to keep your tank lightly populated on a FO tank you can go without a skimmer.
The thing is, as soon as you see what a skimmer pulls out of your water you'll never try to keep a tank again without one. You can probably get a skmmer for a tank that size fairly cheaply...

N

nereef

i agree. i've heard good things about a nano skimmer. was it a "fission nano skimmer?"

famous

I was looking up that nano skimmer and it that it was for 5-25 gal tanks. The next one up was 20-75 gal for $164. Does that seem like a reasonable price? Or is that size an overkill? I was looking at the aquaC because thats the one I have been reading on here about. If anyone has any other sugestions on good skimmers (brand, size, price,where to get one besides LFS) I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help
Kyle

stanlalee

Looks good but air bubbles (powerhead with air valve open) is no good for saltwater tanks. Tank looks real good even without livestock! If it were my tank I'd get an AquaC remora or remora nano in a pinch if I were going to keep the bioload low.

famous

Thanks for the help..did not know about the air bubbles...that problem is now solved! Im looking into the skimmers you were talking about Thanks again

famous

AquaC is what I think it will def be. All that I hear are good things about it. Any good places to shop?