Protein skimmer

i have my protein skimmer on, but it dosent look right... There is no foam and water is over flowing to collection cup... Any idea why? I'll put a picture.

Attachments

bang guy

I'm skeptical on it. That said, it looks to be way too deep into the water. Is there an adjustment that makes it sit higher out of the water?

bang guy

Is the main chamber fill of bubbles? Is there a venture on the powerhead that can increase the quantity of bubbles?

If it looks like it's full of bubbles then I'd suggest raising it out of the water until it starts to work.

Is the main chamber fill of bubbles? Is there a venture on the powerhead that can increase the quantity of bubbles?

If it looks like it's full of bubbles then I'd suggest raising it out of the water until it starts to work.
No, there is no bubbles at all... But I know the air pump is blowing air because water comes out of the tube(it's suppose to) but when I turn it on, there is no bubbles in the chamber, and the collection cup just has water filling up the whole cup. I raised it up and it still happens, why there is no bubbles blowing? Is it breaking it or something?

bang guy

I think we're getting closer. Sorry this is taking so long, I'm just not familiar with your skimmer.

If there are no bubbles in the chamber then you've narrowed the problem down to the powerhead. It is not blowing bubbles like it's supposed to. When I look at the air tube leading to the air diffuser on the powerhead it looks like it's full of water. Maybe it needs to be primed. Try blowing into it to clear the water to see if it will start sucking in air.

I think we're getting closer. Sorry this is taking so long, I'm just not familiar with your skimmer.

If there are no bubbles in the chamber then you've narrowed the problem down to the powerhead. It is not blowing bubbles like it's supposed to. When I look at the air tube leading to the air diffuser on the powerhead it looks like it's full of water. Maybe it needs to be primed. Try blowing into it to clear the water to see if it will start sucking in air.
oh no it's my fault that I took u so long, u probably have a lot to do, I try that when I get home and update you whatever happens.

I lifted the skimmer out of the water and when the pump is out of the water it blows bubble when I put it back in it won't... I lifted the whole skimmer out and the bubbling starts, it's stupid because it won't get water! Should I just give it up and not use a skimmer? It seems stupid

bang guy

I think I mentioned before it doesn't look like the optimal skimmer design.

A skimmer isn't necessary. However; Having a good skimmer can mitigate a lot of mistakes from accidental overfeeding to overdoses. This means that if everything is always going well you're not going to miss the skimmer. The first time you make a minor error and the tank crashes, that's where a skimmer could have turned a full tank crash into just a temporarily sick tank.

A skimmer isn't necessary. However; Having a good skimmer can mitigate a lot of mistakes from accidental overfeeding to overdoses. This means that if everything is always going well you're not going to miss the skimmer. The first time you make a minor error and the tank crashes, that's where a skimmer could have turned a full tank crash into just a temporarily sick tank.
I wanted a skimmer because then I don't have to change water every week... I got that skimmer cause it is small and just right for my tank... I see videos of other people's and the pimp is under water with bubbles blowing... Idek what is wrong with the skimmer and the instructions sheet was sucky did not have the right directions... I really want a skimmer so this hobby will be easier... If the skimmer dosent want work then I guess I'll throw it away... But I see a lot of people say their skimmers are "breaking in" what is that suppose to mean? Maybe my skimmer is breaking in? What does it look like when a skimmer is breaking in?

Hey thank you for all the help! I figured it out! Turns out the air line hoes was blocked with the black thingy! No the air pump is taking air and there are bubbles! I'll show you a picture!

I wanted a skimmer because then I don't have to change water every week... I got that skimmer cause it is small and just right for my tank... I see videos of other people's and the pimp is under water with bubbles blowing... Idek what is wrong with the skimmer and the instructions sheet was sucky did not have the right directions... I really want a skimmer so this hobby will be easier... If the skimmer dosent want work then I guess I'll throw it away... But I see a lot of people say their skimmers are "breaking in" what is that suppose to mean? Maybe my skimmer is breaking in? What does it look like when a skimmer is breaking in?
Oh and is it ok for me to run the skimmer when the tank is cycling?

bang guy

Well that looks a lot better.

My method of cycling includes running all tank equipment and maintenance. This view is not shared by all but I've cycled hundreds of systems and that has worked best for me.