Protein Skimmer

nige

I have never been pro-skimmer, but I bought one to try to make my take better. It's a very small one, seems perfect for the tank size I have of 37 gallons. It's made by Sander, model Piccolo. I've got it running with an Elite 801 air pump. How long will it take for things to collect in the cup? This skimmer is made in Germany and doesn't come with any directions. On the package it's called Ozonreaktor, protein skimmer. I hope it's as good as their beer.
Any info that anyone can pass on would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, N

G

glazer

Nige,
They are a really decent little skimmer.... they've been around for eons. They are really versatile as well... they are small enough that they are easily retro'd into an HOB filter, popular little trick with the "nano gang"...hehe
I have one mounted in my refugium for my 5 gallon tank and it definitely pulls the gunk out... I just emptied the cup this afternoon and already have about a 1/4" of NASTY stuff in it...lol
As far as the instructions you aren't missing much... there isn't any really. There is a line-drawing of the thing in the box showing how to mount it to the tank using the bracket and where the airline attaches... both quite obvious if ya ask me. Since you aren't "pro-skimmer" you should have no worries... not like you are going to overskim the tank...lol It's great for your size tank for pulling out a little extra gunk but personally I wouldn't consider it as a serious skimmer on anything over about a 25 gallon.