protein skimmer

whiterose

What is the appropriate way to adjust a protein skimmer. I know it should have small bubbles, but how high should they be. I was told the skimmer should look like the head on a beer mug. But I want to know how high the bubbles should circulate. Also, how long before the skimmer begins working on an established tank?

on an established tank, the skimmer should start pulling out organics within the first month of continuos operation. The skimmer needs time to break in. (although I am still unclear as to what exactly is breaking in.)
Also, you want your bubbles to go as high as possible without causing a potential flood. The longer the bubbles are in contact with the water, the more effective the skimmer will be. Greater contact time=greater organic removal.
What kind of skimmer do you have?

jwhiteuwc

I though this was a great question. I was thinking of asking it too.
I have a Red Sea Prism Skimmer, and it's been running for 3 days now, but WOW what a pain. I need to adjust it about 20 times a day. Either it's bubbling out the top and filling up my filler tank or the bubbles aren't high enough. I figured I has to do with the Break in Period (or so I hope). I also have a SeaClone 150 that I have ordered but will probably take back, unless this PRISM skimmer keeps acting up.
Thanks to all.

skimmers can be very finicky . . . for example, mine (CPR Bak Pak) took about 6 weeks of constant fine tunig before it was operating the way in wanted it to. Now, I just look at it to make sure that the airline isnt being restricted and I let it go.

dreeves

What color is the skimmate the over producer is producing? If it is clearish..then could be the mold inhibitors etc on the material used to make the skimmer with reacting...if this is the case, it will clear itself up pretty quickly, if the water is darker..then it is working as intended...also, any additives like slime enhancers, etc for fish usually will cause excessive bubbling, as does some medications and many other things.

kzlen

the Red Sea skimmer manual says water flow should be about level with the o-ring. That works good for me, when I clean out the collection cup, I have to lower the water flow just a tad and slowly raise it back up to the o-ring, or the collection cup get full fast!

jwhiteuwc

What do you mean by "water flow" I have the skimmer hanging off the back of my tank, and when I look at the O-ring it has foam underneath it for abuot 1/2 in or so.
I've been having problems with my PRIZM skimmer.
Does the skimmer need to sit more in the tank than just hanging off the back?
Thanks