protein skimmers

junior

First time buyer,in the process of building a 75 gallon reef, the next piece of equipment is the skimmer, can't make up mind. On which one to go with, So I am asking for help

wamp

You will get alot of opinions with this question.. How much do you have set aside for it?

kris walker

If you want a quick answer, you could do a search on it. There are tons of questions just like yours that have already been answered.
I use Lee's, but only because it was cheap at the time, and I didn't know any better. Luckily, so far so good.
sam

fshhub

for 300, i would probaly get an AQUA C remora pro(NO rio pump), it is a hang on, and can be used with a sump(so they say), best buy for the money, and more than adequate for a 75 gallon, not to mention, if you are looking for a hang on, they are also much less unsightly, i do not think you should buy on appearance, but this, IMO is and added bonus with these skimmers
oh yeah, and you'll save about 75 $
HTH

wamp

Next question.. Do you have a sump? If so. I will give you my opinion. I have been running the red sea berlin skimmer for 3 years now. I have NEVER had any problems with it. I use a mag5 pump to run it. If anything I will add the Turbo feature to it soon. Other than that, I will not touch it. Its' easy to clean, easy to adjust and is not real finiky when you first set up. I give it 2 thumbs up. Now thats my 2 cents.

biggdriver

I and alot of other people I know use the Red Sea Berlin XL turbo..Comes with the pump for about 200 bucks and will handle upto 400 gallon tank..That's what my lfs also has used for many yrs and have had no problems..They are also ozone safe if later on you decide you want to add that..Though you really shouldn't need to.Like the previous post ..You will get alot of opinions on this..but the main thing to remember is that you get what you pay for

fshhub

i knew i was forgetting something, i agree, with the berlin, if you have a sump, if not, than you got my 2 sense, but i would definitely go with one of those 2 skimmers, especially if the budget will allow, this is one tool, that you really should not cheat on, they are valuable tools,get the best you can afford, and, IMO htese are the best options in your $$

I have a hang on Red Sea and it works so good. It is amazing the junk it removes!! Really gross, its probably the best thing we bought for our tank, it made a big difference!
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/reeftank125" target="_blank">www.geocities.com/reeftank125</a>

broomer5

As you're planning your set up, I'd strongly encourage to you go with a sump and a good return pump on a 75 reef. Lots of good skimmers out there to choose from as mentioned above, but you're somewhat limited with the hang on type.
Brian ;)

turbojoe

I have to agree that RED SEA skimmers are the way to go......especially the Turbo models.But perhaps....you might want too check out the "MIRACLE MUD" concept. Much less hassle than a skimmer based system...just my thoughts..GOOD LUCK with your new tank.