Protein Skimmers

dueces

Need help buying protein skimmer for my 46 gallon tank? Looking at Sea Clones. Any suggestions? Only thing it has to be quiet.
Thanks

jester

Im happy with my seaclone. Its silent, and does a decent job. there are a few easy mods you can do to it to make it awesome. But, it works ok out of the box.

dueces

I am going to purchase one today. What are the mods that you made. I would like to do the same if they helped you out even more.
Thanks

fshhub

the remoras are outstanding, and i think untouchable for hang ons, but they are quite pricey, especially in comparison to the seaclones, IMO i would get one of them instead, much better,and skimming is one are ayou really should not skimp in, if not, then maybe a bakpak, they ar ein the middle between remoras and seaclones on price and much better than the seaclones
HTH and good luck

cwfish

I only know of one mod to the sea clones. Take off the foam prefilter on the water intake. It tends to clog easily. Once it clogs you can't get good flow and in turn no skimming. I have had mine off for a while and haven't seen any problems.

kris

A long time ago, i had this exact question, and from the people on this board then I heard someone reccomend (the rock I believe) the bio-bak-pak 2 by cpr. I own three and they are great skimmers and bio-filters in one. Easy to use reasonably priced and reliable. which ever skimmer you choose for sure make it a venturi type as the others don't even come close.

twoods71

If you just bought your seaclone new there is a great chance that it is a newer model and will require no modifications to work great. I have one on a 55 and am very happy with it.
It does make a little noise however.
There was another member on this board that made a very simple but excellent modification by simply dropping an air stone to the bottom of the skimmer. All this requires is to make a small hole in the center of the cup lid.

aczmey

I had a Seaclone before and its a piece of crap compare to AquaC Remora protein skimmers. I would recommend save some money and buy Remora. You going to love it.
Now I have Remora Pro on my 45G and I did not do a water change in 3 month. Water quality is perfect. I tend to feed my tank very aggressively. Plus if you get Remora pro with prefilter box and Mag 3 pump you will have very little maintenance to do (dump and clean the collection cup - you will have to do it very often)because Mag pumps are very good and you will not have filter sponge on the pump.