Pssssssst!! Someone wants to meet you!

azonic

Meet Penny, my new Copperband Butterfly. She's the newest addition and probably the last one for quite a while now that my tank is creeping up on the 6 month old mark. I told myself with this tank that I'd wait before seriously delving into the corals again, and 6 months old was the time period I was looking at.
I currently have some shrooms, and zoo's in my tank just for a little color. I have a funny feeling "Aquarium Corals" by Borneman might be under the christmas tree for me this year as well...so after christmas I'll be good to go.
Anywho, back to Penny. She is a net caught Australian Copperband. My LFS has been quarantining her for me for approx 3 weeks and making sure she is taking prepared foods. I've got her on mysis, brine, krill, squid and spirulina.
I don't usually post pics of just a single new addition but this has to be one of the most involved purchases I've made for my tank so I thought i'd share.
First, here she is getting her medical exam.

Aint she Purty?

lovethesea

ooooooo, she is pretty, great pic too. Very interesting looking fish.
Thanks for the pic. Penny....love that name. :D Your cleaner didn't
waste any time did he? I love it when ours does his job.

yosemite sam

Ooo, that's a beautiful fish! I have always been afraid of them in part because I've heard they can be picky eaters but mostly because they sometimes get the munchies for corals. It's good you picked out an eater - she doesn't look like she's been starving. You'll have to tell us how she does around the polyps and shrooms.

azonic

Originally posted by lovethesea
ooooooo, she is pretty, great pic too. Very interesting looking fish.
Thanks for the pic. Penny....love that name. :D Your cleaner didn't
waste any time did he? I love it when ours does his job.

I thought the name was really fitting. :)
Originally posted by aarone
Great looking fish! I love it how the eyes match the body pattern.
aaron

I love the eyes too. I actually never noticed it until I was taking pictures of her yesterday.
Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

Ooo, that's a beautiful fish! I have always been afraid of them in part because I've heard they can be picky eaters but mostly because they sometimes get the munchies for corals. It's good you picked out an eater - she doesn't look like she's been starving. You'll have to tell us how she does around the polyps and shrooms.

I feel that as long as the fish is well fed, it shouldn't go after any corals. I've read of numerous people housing them in reefs with great success. You just need to make sure they get a a good diet. I have a flame angel in the tank as well who has been there for 3 months and has never so much as looked at a coral. I feed her a high quality frozen angel food and he is really big and fat. I hope to do the same with Penny.
If she does go for corals, I'll be sure to post about it. If such a thing happened and I am unable to discourage her from doing it, I've already been assured by my LFS owner that he will take her back.
Glad everyone likes her!

azonic

Originally posted by attml
Very Nice!! Aptasia beware!!:)

She has already eaten one small one I had growing on a mushroom rock! There are a couple others scattered around the tank that I'm sure she will make short work of.
Originally posted by ekclark
Great fish...sounds like a great lfs. I wish I had one close to me that cared so much.

Yeah, this LFS is pretty decent. There are only 2 stores local to me who sell SW fish. The one I go to 99.99% of the time has no problem holding fish for you or taking them back. I even trade frags with him from time to time.
Originally posted by Kipass4130

I had a cu-band for a while. Took it a long time to get along with my yellow tang. She was stressed for about a month and didnt look good. Then one day, out of the blue, she perked up... started eating... and the yellow tang accepted her as a tankmate. She lived happily for about 6 weeks after... until the december '02 southeast ice storm power outtage episode :( .
I loved my Cu-band... but they are very delicate. One day, I hope to have another.
Yours looks very healthy. Congrats.

I've got a small purple tang in the tank with her. She hasn't shown much aggression....she's just following the c-band around and getting in her way when she tries to eat something. Just being a nuissance basically.
My purple tang is only 2 inches long...my c-band is closer to 3-4". Maybe that has something to do with it.