puffer is not looking good**PLEASE HELP**

pacino

i am doing a hypo treatment to my 80 gallon to treat my racoon butterfly and porc. puffer. i have been doing so for about a month and the ich is getting better but not completely. last night i got home and the puffer was just laying on the bottom kinda hunched over. he is normally always swimming, and i mean always. i went to feed him and he did slowley come up and take a bite, but i then went back to the same postion on the bottom. unfortunatly i do not have a picture at this time. the water specs i did not check cause it was very late and i had to work early, i will check them tonight. but is there anyone who might know what could be going on??? :notsure:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you are doing hypo appropriately, you should not see ich still. What are you using to measure salinity? What is the salinity level as well as the specfic graivity??

pacino

well my puffer was dead when i got home

i tested the water and it goes like this ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, salinity 1.011
i am doing hypo and i still havent gotten to the recommended 1.009. only cause of the holidays and 2 jobs, i just havent had enough time. so i am thinking maybe he had a digestive problem, his little.............how can i say this............bu**hole looked slightly pushed out when i took him out. i am trying to convince myself it wasnt something i did wrong just a part of nature out of my control
but let me ask you this. if it has been a month now since i started hypo, and i havent been consistent enough to get to the recommended 1.009, should i continue with the hypo?? how much longer can the fish tolerate this??

joshd123

This is what I would do if i was you!!!! This is what I do everyday for a month after I get any new item in my tank. Go get you some Garlic Guard by Seachem. Do a half a tea spoon for a few months. That will kill ALL the ick in your tank water sump and everywhere. It is reef safe and it will make your fish eat like CRAZY. You can also use for fish that are not eating. I have 53 diffrent corals and it has never bothered any of them. You will not see any diffrence for a week or so but over time they will get BRIGHT in color and be happy. The other thing you need to do is go to your pet store and look at the cleaner shrimp. Have the Pet Store owner put his hand down in the tank. The Cleaner shrimp that swims up to his hand, BUY that cleaner shrimp. He will Pick the Ick off the fish and eat it. The only draw back to that is if your fish would come to the shrimp in the first place. If I can get some pick of my tank to fit in this site I will show ya what my tank looks like =-). You can Email me if you have anymore questions. Or you can call me At 1 (501) 882-9142. I will do what I can to help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear this. Just FYI....hypo is usally at 1.009 specfic gravity, and 14 ppt salinity.

fishman72b

Originally Posted by Joshd123
This is what I would do if i was you!!!! This is what I do everyday for a month after I get any new item in my tank. Go get you some Garlic Guard by Seachem. Do a half a tea spoon for a few months. That will kill ALL the ick in your tank water sump and everywhere. It is reef safe and it will make your fish eat like CRAZY. You can also use for fish that are not eating. I have 53 diffrent corals and it has never bothered any of them. You will not see any diffrence for a week or so but over time they will get BRIGHT in color and be happy. The other thing you need to do is go to your pet store and look at the cleaner shrimp. Have the Pet Store owner put his hand down in the tank. The Cleaner shrimp that swims up to his hand, BUY that cleaner shrimp. He will Pick the Ick off the fish and eat it. The only draw back to that is if your fish would come to the shrimp in the first place. If I can get some pick of my tank to fit in this site I will show ya what my tank looks like =-). You can Email me if you have anymore questions. Or you can call me At 1 (501) 882-9142. I will do what I can to help.
I like this idea, i have had a VERY high success rate with garlic.. a natural product used to inhance the immune system of humans and anamals, and FISH TOO! :) When you say do this for a month.. do u mean use it as a food soak? or just put it in the tank.. becuase garlic must be ingested to be affective in the removal of ich. whatdo you mean??