Puffer Question!

jcs69

I have a S&S Puffer and he is doing great. I feed him Squid, Mysis, Shrimp(raw from seafood market), Krill, frozen krill, scallions, and plankton. How and what kind of shelled foods should I feed him?? Do you just throw in an oyster and he eats them!!!! I'm kind of confused!

ryan

you can break it open and feed it to them. If your puffers still small it wont be able to open the shell by itself. I open the shell just a little bit and then run water through it to wash the meat and shell off, then put it in the tank.

H

hewetton

Make sure shrimps have shells intact because this helps file down its growing teeth although not very effectively. Small fiddler crabs are a much better choice if you can find a stable supply of them and have money. They're not as hard as oyster or clam shell, but harder than shrimp shell.

H

hewetton

Do you mean they come dead or alive? If available, alive.....but this option is only for the most dedicated puffer keeper. So long as you feed your puffer lots of shelled alternatives, you should be fine. You can try prawns, as well.