puffer question

ryan

Usually you can feed them shelled foods or snails and it will keep their teeth down. Sometimes if they get to bad though you may have to trim them yourself.

swman

What I did with my puffer is by using some empty sea shells they tend to bite on it by doing so they trimmed their own teeth. I never had to file down their teeth manually. You can get them at your LFS.

ryan

I cant remember the guys name that sent me the link, but you want to get two containers. In one container you will measure how many cups of tank water you put into it (make sure its enough that your fish can swim in it). Add one drop of Clove Oil per cup of water. In the other container just add water from the tank. Take the fish out and put it in the container with the Clove Oil. In about 1 minute the fish will float upside down. Pick the fish up in a net (not to damage it with oils from your skin) and cut its teeth with a pair of nail clippers or cutticle scissors. The teeth are just like cutting your fingernails. Then put the fish into the container with plain aquarium water. Within a minute he will come to. Leave him in there until hes swimming normally, then move him back into the aquarium. If you want to get Clove Oil I got mine from Walgreens. Any

[hr]
place should have it. Its in with the toothache medicine. Its made Red Cross its called Red Cross Toothache Medication. The main ingredient in it is Eugenol (Clove Oil) 85%. I have tried this and it does work. Be careful to only add one drop per cup of water. You can Euthinize your fish with this by adding a lot.

scubadoo

Cut and paste....puffer dentistry
Some aquarists have attempted manually filing the teeth down, but this is most always very traumatic on the fish. With the help of Greg Bishop DVM, Kelly first began doing puffer dentistry using MS 222 (tricaine methanesulfonate) and a "Dremel" rotary tool, much like the instruments that dentists use on people. Their procedure was conducted as follows:
Make an anesthesia bath using MS-222 with enough aquarium water to obtain a concentration of 100 ppm. Note: to make this solution from a dry weight – 1 ppm equals 0.001 grams per liter. You can multiply the amount of bath water (in gallons) by 0.0038 [3.8 liters per gallon] to determine how many grams of MS-222 are needed here. Chemicals like MS-222 for aquatic husbandry may be obtained through your veterinarian or aquaculture supply companies like Argent Laboratories.
Place the Puffer in the bath for about 20-60 seconds to be anesthetized, then remove the puffer promptly to begin the dentistry. Use a stone cutting wheel blade (composite formed or diamond-tipped, like for cutting ceramic tile) to trim off the tip of the overgrown teeth. Then use a gentle grinding bit to file smooth the rough or uneven edges.
It may be necessary during the procedure to place the Puffer back into the MS-222 for additional durations of ten to thirty seconds if the fish begins to awaken, move, clench its jaws or bite you! You can trickle aquarium water on the gills (or through the towel cover) to make the surgery out of water a bit less stressful. The entire procedure should take less than a minute or two, though, with no harm to the fish.
Another option for piscine anesthesia is clove oil (Eugenol Usp: 4-Allyl-2-methoxyphenol). Dose and duration for this method, like other forms of anesthesia, is somewhat variable by weight of the animal and sensitivities by species and individual. A typical recommended dose, however, is 4 drops of clove oil per liter of water (about 15 drops per gallon) to make an anesthetic bath. NEVER dose clove oil directly in the aquarium! It is an effective anesthetic with short exposure, but works as an agent of euthanasia to fishes in extended baths. In a clove oil bath solution, fishes should respond within one minute typically. Weak or smaller fishes may require a lower dose (2 drops of clove oil per liter of water) for an extended period of time (up to five minutes) for anesthetic effect. Large or tolerant fishes may require a slightly stronger concentration. We do not recommend more than 5 drops of clove oil per liter of water to make this anesthetic, but you can add 5 ml of ethanol per liter bath water for improved results. Clove oil can be easily found at online pharmacies, laboratory supply houses, local drug and health food stores - often by the aforementioned trade name, Eugenol.
* Note: For small puffers, the use of a power tool may be awkward or too large. In such cases it may be acceptable to just use diagonal pliers (AKA "wire cutters") or cuticle clippers (Note: these are NOT the same as fingernail clippers… They are similar to miniature diagonal pliers) to snip off the tips of overgrown teeth quickly. Just avoid using such pliers on thick or large overgrown teeth.

unleashed

I keep cc as a substrate and my puffers always chew on that plus I do feed shelled food as often as i can