Puffers In A Reef

pufferlover

I know from time to time there are posts regarding Puffers in a reef. I have always said not good. Today I was at my lfs picking up some new pieces for my reef and spotted a Pork Puffer about 4 inches that was not there yesterday. I asked the owner who after 3 years has become somewhat of a friend did someone bring the Pork in (I knew he did get a fish shipment yesterday) he said yes someone had it in his reef and finally got tired of it eating his snails and crabs. This is not the first time I've seen one brought there for that reason. So thought I would remind you all of the folly of trying to do that in a reef.

Pufferlover,
here! here! as always we are definitely on the same page when it comes to my favortie fish. Many will disagree and say they have a porc or dog in a reef or that they are keeping a porc and dogface in a 55 with no problems. All I can say to that is tick......tick.....tick......BOOM!

efrank

www.angelfire.com/my/reeftank is the site for fixitdude.
He has a valentini in his reef with snails, crabs coral etc. Does this work? I would love to put a white spotted puffer in my reef tank if someone, anyone would give me a little hope that it would leave crustations alone.

Fixitdude has got to be an exeption. All puffers have bone that is fused into their jaw (the teeth) and its there for a reason. To chomp on inverts and get through the shells of mollusks, clams, crabs, lobsters, you name it they can chomp through it. I just see it as a time bomb, it's a big "what if" hanging over your tank. Might be o.k., might not, but your gambling with all your inverts.

pufferlover

Valentini's as Juv have very small mouths and probably would work for a while (repeat a while in a reef) my lfs has a small one in his 38 reef tank at the moment. But alas in time they can get to 3 to 4 inches and I think their appetite's would change not to the benefit of the corals or inverts.

otto13

i am a puffer fanatic. right now i have a blue spot and stars and stripes. i also have 3 freshwater fahakas. seperated of course. good luck with yours. like to see them if you have a web site.

pufferlover

otto13; If interested go thru my profile and homepage to my site and you will find many pictures of mine and some others Puffs and set-ups. You sound like you are a Puffer fanatic and so am I.