Puffers

so i know if a puffer is stressed and it bloats up or dies it releases toxins in the water that can kill other fish? what do you do when a puffer dies? do you take all the fish out?! and quarantine them...or do a water change? how do you take care of such an issue.

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
puffers dont release toxins when they die, cow and boxfish do, the meat of puffers is toxic
So you would basically just want to get it out of the water before you fish start nibbling on it? Or do a water change anyways just to be safe.

pogi pants

are you planning on killing your puffer? :notsure:
as soon as any fish dies, hurry and get it out so you don't get ammonia and nitrate spikes. i'm sure you'll be able to see your puffer getting sick first before he dies, and you can quarantine him till he gets better.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by MaddestHatter
So you would basically just want to get it out of the water before you fish start nibbling on it? Or do a water change anyways just to be safe.
most fish wont take a bite out of it at all since they know its toxic, and do a water change to get rid of the ammonia and stuff and take out the body, and like pogi said r u planning to murder ur puffer? r u two having relationship problems?

lol no i just want one and worry that i would come home one day knowing my luck and its be dead and the toxins would kill all the other fish :(

larryndana

That really goes for any fish, if it dies get it out as soon as you can. Check your levels, do a water change if needed....dead fish will cause an ammonia spike. Like stated their flesh is toxic but won't release anything into the water.