Pulsing Xenia Location

edubb777

I just recently purchased a 3" frag of pulsing xenia. At what location in the tank should it be placed ie. hi9gh in the tank for lot's of light or lower, and should it be in a high or low current location.
I have 2 250 W Metal Halides and 2 4' blue actinics on an 80 gal system.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by edubb777
I just recently purchased a 3" frag of pulsing xenia. At what location in the tank should it be placed ie. hi9gh in the tank for lot's of light or lower, and should it be in a high or low current location.
I have 2 250 W Metal Halides and 2 4' blue actinics on an 80 gal system.
Closer to the light it will grow faster IMO, also mine like a LITTLE current as well!

monalisa

Same here. I just brought about 5 frags to may LFS last weekend, the asked them to put them in low to medium flow...mine seem to do much better there. When I returned there later in the week, they were placed in great spots...well, what was left...they only had 2 of the frags left and they were doing great.
Lisa :happyfish

francisco5

I have mine on the bottom of my 55 gallon with lots of flow. They are moving to other rocks placed near them and splitting as well. I have a new stalk growing where one moved and left a little clump of itself behind.

mudplayerx

Xenia love intense light. If you place them at the bottom of the tank then they will slowly grow/spread to the top of the tank.

edubb777

I had first placed it in a mid tank, low flow spot and it didn't seem to like it there. So I moved it to a high spot with medium flow and it opened up like crazy. It seems to like lot's of light and a medium flow so far......
Let's see it how it grows over the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for all the help!

dogstar

My tank is 30'' deep with 250w MHs and mine does fine low and high in medium and high flow.

chadman

i have noticed a lot of people saying they how great there xenia grows...they saw low flow and such...WRONG! half the peoples xenia is weak and frail looking...i need to get pictures of mine to show what strong well to do xenia looks like...bright light and medium to high flow...thats the ticket.....

mrdc

Well my xenia does just fine and look sgreat. In fact I cut out about 10 stalks today because it grows like a weed now in my tank.

reefiness

ya i think that flow doesnt really matter, mine seem to like the lower flows and they pulse better in the lower flows IMO.
but i would highly suggest putting your xenias on a piece of LR in the sand bed surrounded by sand otherwise you might start hating them like a lot of people because geez let me tell u, u think that algae grows fast... wait till u see your xenias grow... lol
:hilarious