pulsing xenia

alexknight

My Xenia has been doing fine into to day when I came home from work it was all shrunk up. not like it normally does but really small and looks old.... the only thing I have done was a water change and added a new skimmer is it possible to over skim your tank??? im about to test for everything so ill post in a little. I did change the tank around so it is not directly under the MH like it use to be.

jerryatrick

Personally I think they are okay. They might just be adjusting to the new position. Crazy as this might sound, maybe your water is to clean. For some reason Xenia thrives in dirty water.
As far as skimming to much? Yes you can. Which skimmer did you purchase? Is their a setting so you don't skim as much?

alexknight

I bet you thats it... I its a 26 Gal tank so it prob lost 4 gal from all the rock. its rated for 55. its a cheep one but its the sea clone 100.

nanomantis

Also once a year Xenia seems to go through a massive die-off. It is a normal part of it's life cycle and does the same in the wild. If this is what you are experiencing there is just about nothing you can do to prevent it, however most of the xenia will regrow eventually.
It is quick and hits with little warning. If your xenia dies I'd chalk it up to this phenomina since the rest of your tank looks great!

t316

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/2704625
Also once a year Xenia seems to go through a massive die-off. It is a normal part of it's life cycle and does the same in the wild. If this is what you are experiencing there is just about nothing you can do to prevent it, however most of the xenia will regrow eventually.
It is quick and hits with little warning. If your xenia dies I'd chalk it up to this phenomina since the rest of your tank looks great!

Now I that's a new one for me....

earnit33

I agree that they like dirty water,But high Nitrates they don't like,at least mine don't.
Just my 2 cents of input.

alexknight

thanks for the info I just got home from work and everything else looks very happy expt for the xenia grrr =/ ill check things out tomorrow... I think it may be more because I found Mandarin Dragonet dead
I did about a 15% water change and then added another 4 gallons to full the tank completely up. 2 days ago...

stdreb27

Pulsing xenia is sensitive to PH maybe your ph is too low. Once my ph drops below 8.1 it stops pulsing.

alexknight

I'm at a complete loss. I just took this pic maybe 5 min ago and its looks 10x healthier and is pulsing
I did add DT to my tank last night that could of been it?

tang master

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/2704625

My xenia was lush and growing rapidly then all of the sudden started to die off like explained. It has been a few weeks, do you think it will come back?

alexknight

I'm not sure I have never had it do this before.. they looked better after I added some DT's to my tank but i don't know if that helped or not. I cant test for ALK or cla because in the move I misplaced ( lost ) part of the kit lol i'm still searching for it.
my test came out
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ammonia 0 or 0.2 ( its flippin hard to tell!
)
I think the ammonia may of done it, no clue why it would of spiked like that....
have you Tang Master changed anything in your tank? I added a BTA right before this happened. maybe she did it but I hope not!!!