Pulsing Zenia question...

jrandolph1

We recently purchased some Pulsing Zenias and at the store they were pulsing fine (fully opening and closing) now they stay open and barely pulse. I thought maybe they were getting too much light so I moved them down. Any one have any suggestions?

tthemadd1

More info def needed here. Although I have had some that went through a bit of a shock and they were very small and didnt pulse. It took a few weeks but they have gone back to pulsing and plumped up nicely. I dont think that your lighting is the problem because they are filter feeders. What do you add to your tank? Also water parameters? Any other corals around the pulsing?

jrandolph1

I had a feeling you guys would ask about the parameters. My hubby does all of the chemestry on the tank. According to him it is perfect. This is what I do know, calcium 375 - 425, salinity 35, temperature 79, PH 8.4 with the lights on, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0. It is a 180 long tank. We do add Ocean's Blend 2 part suplementation for our corals. Other than fish food, we add DT for the corals.
I hope this helps, it's all I know for now until I get home.

jrandolph1

Today will be 5 days. We have some zoos, yellow polyps and leather coral but, they are not close enough to the Zenias to hurt them, but I am not sure. They are about 5 inches away from the zoos and polyps.

druluv

Originally Posted by jrandolph1
I had a feeling you guys would ask about the parameters. My hubby does all of the chemestry on the tank. According to him it is perfect. This is what I do know, calcium 375 - 425, salinity 35, temperature 79, PH 8.4 with the lights on, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0. It is a 180 long tank. We do add Ocean's Blend 2 part suplementation for our corals. Other than fish food, we add DT for the corals.
I hope this helps, it's all I know for now until I get home.
Xenia have a bad reputation for been hard to acclimate
. You have to take your time when putting these types of corals in your tank. Ask how long has the seller have the xenia, before purchasing. If your Xenia started melting, then it is a wrap for it
. Don't get discourage and try again if water chem is still stable :yes: . Good Luck

tthemadd1

Those corals shouldnt be too close. If they are touching you have a problem over time. As long as they are plump I dont see too muh problem. The next question would be if there is a lot of current around the xenias? Mine are near the top of the tank. and in a medium flow area.

jrandolph1

Thank you so much for your help. You guys are the greatest! I will keep my fingers crossed that they pull through this. I am hoping that they are just still adjusting to the transfer and will settle in soon.

jrandolph1

I thought about the current and put them where they can get a light flow. Right now that is at the bottom of the tank because I was afraid of the light being to strong. Should I move them back up a little?

liverneck

Xenias are weird like that, some make it in some tanks and in others just melt. I remember my first Xenias just melted away, but i left the flesh that was still left on the rock. Months later they grew back pulsing like mad. The tank eventually became a Xenia dominated tank. Got most of my other coral from trading frags. Good luck!

speg

You should keep your Xenia moderately high in the tank.. someone mentioned they are filter feeders.. but that is not known for sure. Scientists do not know why they pulse for sure and they do not know if they in fact filter feed. They do carry a symbiotic algae in them though, meaning they feed on that.. and that feeds off light.
I've heard of Xenia pulsing less in high current... were they in strong current? They need a decent amount of current.. but they shouldnt be blowing around the tank ;)
Also someone mentioned that Xenia is hard to acclimate... I dont believe this is true because I literally got mine from the store.. tempature acclimated them, and then tossed them straight in the tank. After two days they were fully extended.
As far as your pulsing problem.. try keeping them in less current.. also mine seem to pulse faster with age... maybe yours are just not used to your tank quite yet.

jrandolph1

Thanks speg. I noticed last night when the lights went out, that they started fully pulsing again. They seem to be healthy, no melting at all, they just don't pulse much when the light is on. Odd.

jdreef

Originally Posted by jrandolph1
Thanks speg. I noticed last night when the lights went out, that they started fully pulsing again. They seem to be healthy, no melting at all, they just don't pulse much when the light is on. Odd.
mine did the same thing and that was because my sallnity was too high (35) .....you should have your sallnity between 31-34 (under 34) or specific gravity 1.023-1.025
(for a reef tank)........because this coral likes low sallnity (32 or33)............also it LOVES iodine :happyfish
PS: hope it helps

speg

Nah salinity with them is not a issue of it needing to be low. I keep mine at 1.026 and mine thrive... I mean.. pulsing Xenia can come from the Red Sea.. and if im not mistaken isnt that the saltiest of the seas?

mudplayerx

A pulsing xenia that isn't pulsing doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Sometimes mine don't pulse for days/weeks, but they are still growing so fast that I regularily frag them and sell them.
ps- they aren't as delicate as everyone thinks either. I regularily get xenia stalks stuck on my powerhead intakes, where the stalk is stretched like 8 inches long. As soon as I free the stalk it takes about 2 minutes before its fully inflated and pulsing again.
ps- the saltiest sea is the dead sea. It is so salty that only bacteria live in it I think.

jrandolph1

Thanks guys! They are still looking good, so no worries for now. Glad to know they don't constantly pulse. Big relief.