pump/overflow ?s

rrippent

I will have an overflow that dumps water into a sump/refugium. Does the pump's return rate (GPH) have to match that of the overflow? For example if I were to get a pump that returns 740 GPH would I need an overflow that matches that? I have a 120 GAL (48x24x24). Is there a certain need for GPH for both coming in and going out of the refugium? From the top of the tank to the refugium will probably be around 3-3.5 feet or so (maybe 4 ft.)
Also is via aqua a good brand of pump?

turningtim

Yes you must have a pump matched flow with the drain size. What are the sizes of the drains from the overflow?
You also must calculate the pump size with head pressure.
HTH
Tim

rrippent

I really don't know. I don't have an overflow yet, but hopefully will be getting a fuge from another site's classifieds. It is rated for a 200 gal tank and i've got a 120...once I know more about what it has, I will ask again. I know it is ready for an external pump and is drilled with 2 holes to come in from the overflow, but not sure of the size. Once I get it, then I want to make sure to get the correct overflow & pump that will run on it.

nm reef

You don't need to "match" the pump flow rate to the overflow rate....but you do need to insure the pump rate does not exceed the overflow rate. In many situations folks use a pump rated higher than the overflow but valve the pump down (restrict it) to keep the flow rate below the capacity of the overflow.