Pump question

scotikis

I'm accumulating equipment for my first 125 gallon FOWLR tank and need guidance on pumps. I purchased a Blue Line 70 pump today that is rated @ 1750 gph. When I look at the charts they provide, I expect to get approximately 1250 gph flow when plumbing is taken into account. My questions are. 1. Are Blue line pumps as reliable as I've heard? (I should've asked prior to purchase!!!) 2. 1250 gph will give me 10 turns per hour. If I goto a reef tank in the future, will this pump be sufficient? Thank you for your help.

lion_crazz

From everything I have heard from other people, the Blue Line pumps are very good.
That will be sufficient flow for your return pumps, but be sure to have a ton of flow from your powerheads or closed loop. You want to get to at least 20X per hour, if not closer to 25.

scotikis

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate your time. I have a question. When I establish this FOWLR tank, Do I want 20-25 turns? I wasn't planning on having powerheads, just the Blue line. Is 10x per hour sufficient for FOWLR in your opinion?

lion_crazz

It likely will not. If you do not want powerheads (like I didn't in my 210), I would drill the back for a closed loop.

scotikis

I'm really showing my ignorance on this one, thanks for your patience. I dont understand what you mean when you say closed loop system? I have 2 corner overflows which will feed a 38 gallong 'fuge, then a 40w UV and back to the tank. thanks again.

sbaumann14

Originally Posted by Scotikis
http:///forum/post/2628354
I'm really showing my ignorance on this one, thanks for your patience. I dont understand what you mean when you say closed loop system? I have 2 corner overflows which will feed a 38 gallong 'fuge, then a 40w UV and back to the tank. thanks again.
a closed loop system is where you pull water from your tank, thru the pump, and back into your tank thru several nozzles. think cooling system for your car. since the water only goes to a pump then back to your tank, it is called "closed loop"