pump too big?

R

ramon6249

I have a 100g with a 30g sump...right now im in need of a sump pump...Just found one pretty cheap.
Mag pump 2400 is this too big of a pump? if I put a ball valve on my 1" return line could I make it work?...2400 mag pump for $70 ...almost too hard to pass up..
ThanxRamon

logan15

how much head are you gonna have?even a mag 2400 ran free isnt too much for a 100 + a 30 gallon i run my tank at almost 20X the tank volume

R

ramon6249

what do you mean how much head? I try to get as much as I can...but not sure what you mean with the tank...can you dumb it down a little.
Thanx
Ramon

logan15

lol i feel ya everyone loves head
but im talking about how far up the pump has to push the water

R

ramon6249

could not let a good head joke go by without saying anything...about 5-6 feet...lets see from sump..if i did some rearranging and moved the over flow to the other side i can pull off maybe 4 feet...but 6 at the most to answer your question.

bigmac

Originally posted by logan15
a mag 24 would be just right and at your max your looking at 1800GPH still left

But can the overflow handle that much flow? My guess its either the overflowbulkheads can't handle it or the noise and bubbles are too much.

R

ramon6249

well I plan on getting tank drilled so no hang on overflow...but haveing a hard time finding someone to drill it...what size hose do i need on my overflow to handel 1800gph?
Thanx
Ramon

ldc3000

Short answer yes its to powerful. I have a Mag 12 on my 90 gallon and it was to much. I spread the distrubution through three outputs two going to the tank, one going to the refugium, even with that the output is still very strong.

R

ramon6249

If i was to have the tank drilled to handel the 2400...or as you say kip 1800gph how big and how many holes do I need drilled for proper overflow?
Thanx
ramon