pump vs siphon to sump tank

invertical

is it better to use a siphon setup or a pump for extracting water from your display tank going into your sump? I have used the siphon method for a while but it seems a little slow, don't get me wrong...it works but my turnover would be much better if I were using a pump.

mr_x

you cannot use a pump to bring water to the sump. there are way too many variables to be able to match up your drain pump to your return pump.
increase the return..the overlfow should speed up.

invertical

the return pump is 750gph and I have a valve to adjust it...valve is very tricky just one small turn and it fills up too fast....my siphon is made out of all 1" pvc and right now i'm building a new sump...so I guess I'll just fuss with it until it's working right...thanks for the help!

maingo

Originally Posted by Invertical
http:///forum/post/2701287
the return pump is 750gph and I have a valve to adjust it...valve is very tricky just one small turn and it fills up too fast....my siphon is made out of all 1" pvc and right now i'm building a new sump...so I guess I'll just fuss with it until it's working right...thanks for the help!

You should just vest the money in an overflow box for 35 bucks and your problem would be solved..

reefkprz

right.
you can overflow or siphon to your sump or display doesnt matter. you cant pump to your sump and pump to your DT at the same time. its impossible to balance for more than a short time. you'll get more than mad at yourself and your equipment if you try it.

bioneck47

Wait, you don't have an overflow? I thought that was what you were referring to when you said siphon. Yes def. get an overflow.