Pumps!!!

paulkai

Question. I'm upgrading my pump that is in the sump of my wet-dry to return water to my 125g tank from a rate of 500gph to 1200gph. I was working on it last night and I didn't have enough time to figure something out. When I turn on the new pump, the water that is flowing into the overflow cannot keep up with the water flowing out of the sump. Hence, the sump goes dry because the pump is too fast for the water in the overflow. This is hard to explain, but I am sure some of you will understand what I am talking about. Do I just need more water in the tank to get to an equilibrium point? I think that is what the problem is. Any advice would help.

sounds to me that your overflow can't keep up with the return pump. you can do one of three things here.
1. put a valve on your return to control the flow.
2. add another overflow...if possible.
3. if you have a hang on overflow, try adding another u tube for extra drainage.
hope this helps, good luck!

kijak

typically prefilter/overflows are rated for a max GPH, you surpassed yours, I run my 125 with a rio 2500, and added a rio 1700. I am about maxed on the prefilter, and noticed the water level rising about half inch above the intake to the prefilter, if you add additional tubes it may help. 15 years ago in my first 125, I used a internal pump for a pond, and it cooked the fish. it moved 1200 GPH, and raised the tank to 109 F. Made a nice hot tub/jacuzzi