Purple hairy carpet?

noobzilla

I did a 15-20% water change a few days ago and now I've got this purple stuff on my sand bed. I had been dosing my tank for coralline algae prior to the water change, and was hoping it could be that, but from what I've read and looked at I may not be so lucky.

I'm about to mix up some more saltwater to try and suck as much of it out as I can.
I did have a problem with low PH, but raised it to 8.4 and this stuff showed up.

flower

Hi,
It is called is cyanobacteria. It is the result of too many nutrients and phosphates in the water, and where you have a very low water flow, it settles.
I hope you tested your tank for calcium levels before you dosed it for trying to get coraline going, it didn't cause your problem but it might cause another one if you are not careful. Never dose anything in your tank before you do tests and it shows you need it.
Water changes, increasing water flow and don't overfeed. Remove as much as you can before you change the water...it should clear up and go away if you can keep phosphates low at 0 would be perfect..

noobzilla

I was low on calcium, been keeping it around 460, just dosing as needed. My phosphates are reading 0, however I did move a power head, maybe I need to grab another one to put back in that area? I am probably guilty of overfeeding. lol

bang guy

It's notmal to have a Phosphate level of 0 during a Cyanobacteria bloom. This is because the Cyano consumes all available Phosphate. If you are over feeding that would explain this.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildersimpson http:///t/392972/purple-hairy-carpet#post_3509659
I had a light pupple color carpet in my tank and i was told that it was due to excess use of potassium.
You should NEVER dose your tank with anything unless you have done a test, and it's indicated as needed and how much. I have never even heard of anyone dosing potassium. Regular water changes is usually all you need to do to keep parameters in line.
Purple up is calcium, and again...you should do a calcium test before you dose it.
Stuff like uneaten food and fish waste has a tendency to accumulate in low flow areas of the tank...the extra nutrients in that area feeds cyanobacteria, which is the purple carpet. Phosphates and nitrates allow it to really take off.
The cure is to figure out why you have extra nutrients (usually overfeeding) the other thing to do is get the phosphates and nitrates under control (water changes). Last and most important, make sure you have adequate water flow to all areas of the tank and no dead spots, that way the fish waste stays suspended to be removed by your filter.