Purple Tang Died

devil dog

Ok so I get that everything dies but I just don’t get why my Purple Tang died...
I have Yellow tang, Sailfin tang, Achilles tang and the Purple tang... and I have had the Purple Tang for about 5 years and the rest for about 3 years... and with in three days my Purple Tang died... All of the tangs looked GOOD FAT!!! And then it looked like my Purple Tang had not eaten for a week... and he eats every time but he just looked so sick and it only took three days for him to go...
So is there something that he could have got that would make him die? All the rest of the tangs still look good...
Oh and this same thing happened to a Blonde Naso Tang about a year ago...
Thanks DD

evanjah

I always thought that when some fish get older,like a human, they stop nourishing themselves and soon die. Life kinda sucks that way

makorunner013

I had a The same thing happen to me and I read that Purple Tangs live about 6-8 years in captivity. So Depending how old it was when you got it that's about right..... Old Age

anonome

Devil Dog, I know that you keep excellent care of your fish and corals, so I am so sorry for this loss.
But, I have to ask..... I loss a yellow tang after 5 years also to an unknown ailment, and the only thing that I could think of is that it was possibly constipated. You said that your tangs are of good berth...fat, so could it be possible that it was constipated? I had fed my tangs some caulerpa from my refugium and within 5 days my yellow tang had died. Two days prior to dying it stopped eating, I tried feeding live brine to no avail. The other tangs are still going strong, some going on 7 years, so I always figured it had to be the caulerpa that strangled its intestines or something like that.
It is never a good thing to loose a fish, but to loose one that you have no idea why is really baffling. I just know that I will never do that again. Algae sheets are what they are used to, and this is what they will get!!

devil dog

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2970461
Devil Dog, I know that you keep excellent care of your fish and corals, so I am so sorry for this loss.
But, I have to ask..... I loss a yellow tang after 5 years also to an unknown ailment, and the only thing that I could think of is that it was possibly constipated. You said that your tangs are of good berth...fat, so could it be possible that it was constipated? I had fed my tangs some caulerpa from my refugium and within 5 days my yellow tang had died. Two days prior to dying it stopped eating, I tried feeding live brine to no avail. The other tangs are still going strong, some going on 7 years, so I always figured it had to be the caulerpa that strangled its intestines or something like that.
It is never a good thing to loose a fish, but to loose one that you have no idea why is really baffling. I just know that I will never do that again. Algae sheets are what they are used to, and this is what they will get!!
Thanks and i know what your saying... But I always give them caulerpa from my refugium so I dont think that was it... and he ate the day before he died its just weird... Maybe he was just old

Some times i wish they could talk

DD

anonome

DD
I hear you!!! May your next one live a longer life.....cheers!

t316

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
http:///forum/post/2970721
Thanks and i know what your saying... But I always give them caulerpa from my refugium so I dont think that was it... and he ate the day before he died its just weird... Maybe he was just old

DD
I feel you...My cleaner shrimp disappeared a week ago. I have had him for 6 months or more. Just gone....no molt, no hiding, not in the overflow, no corpse laying around, just freakin' gone

Like you, it's not so much that he's gone, I would just like some closure in knowing what the crap happened. Did you get eaten...spontaneous combustion, what...

naclh2o nut

Sorry to hear about your loss, that is sad. You had that tang for 5 years, I have to say that has to be rough.
Well you did say he was fat, so I will bet he was happy.
If he could talk, I am sure he would say Thanks, and Farewell.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
http:///forum/post/2970721

DD
Whoa! is this okay? I never knew you could feed caulerpa to Tangs. They like it? It's healthy? I've got a 55 full of it but it never occurred to me as a food source for my big tank full of Tangs!

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
http:///forum/post/2971859
Whoa! is this okay? I never knew you could feed caulerpa to Tangs. They like it? It's healthy? I've got a 55 full of it but it never occurred to me as a food source for my big tank full of Tangs!
My LFS uses it. The fish love it. He gives it as daily feeding. Not the only feeding, he claims that it is good for them and is a way to feed and not add a lot of waste.(?)

I am not sure about that one but his tanks are unbelievable. He has a hippo tang that he hand feeds broccoli, caulerpa. He has had it for about 10 years and I would guess it is about 10" long.
Oops! Now reading and thinking it may be cheato.

devil dog

Hey thanks everyone... I will need to look for a new one... and see if he will live longer...
And I dont thank any tang will eat cheato...?

devil dog

Well know that my purple tang has died my Yellow tang has killed my Sailfin tang and Achilles tang... I'm so pi$$ed off... now all i have is the STUPID yellow tang!
WTF?