purple tang

bobbyzat

Do you guys think I would be ok with a purple tang in a 75 gallon 4 ft tank. I have close to a hundred pounds of rock, and a wet/dry refugium and skimmer. Other fish are 3 green chromis, perc clown and a LMB. Is my tank big enough, or do I need to find a smaller tang?

A

autopilot

"Purple Tang - Zebrasoma xanthurus
Also known as: Yellowtail, Purple Sailfin Tang
The Zebrasoma xanthurus grows up to 10 inches. The Purple Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Purple Tang is an herbivore and likes to eat a variety of marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, and other fresh seafoods. The Purple Tang is a medium maintenance fish and will co exist with other tank mates, however it is not recommended to keep with other Zebrasoma species, as it will act aggressively towards them. Should one want to keep more than one specimen in the tank, it is best to acquire them at the same time, and in numbers of 4 or more. Reef-safe. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Purple Tang is commonly collected from the Red Sea. "
quoted from another site

chandler04

Go ahead and do it, itll be fine, for at least a couple of years. But they DO get big, if fed properly and kept in a nice home. 75 is good, so go for it. They are hardy, beautiful fish.

lionfish12

:yes:
PLus you have to take into effect that of the size it is now and how long it will take to get full sized. Most fish live in a tank for 2-3 years depending on the water quailty, In other words go for it!

bona42na

My only suggestion is make the Purple Tang your last fish added . Mine is very agressive to new fish and already killed one significantly bigger than himself. One established in the tank they are great fish to have around. Make sure that you have plenty of nori for him and also make sure that you have a grounding probe as they are very sensitive to random electricity in the tank. Good luck they are great fish . Peter

yaoming713

beautiful fish for sure...mine is in a 75 but hope to get a larger tank soon...theyre very hardy and active thru out the day...i know they get big but at a very slow rate i think

bona42na

Here is another more recent and more detailed picture of him. By the way bobbyzat, thanks for your service to this great Country of ours. God bless you and all your brothers and sisters .

bobbyzat

Thank you Bona42na. No need to thank us, just vote for people who will keep me in a job. Thats all I ask.
If I don't go with a purple tang, cuz I am still just planning ahead right now, what are some other tangs that are suitable for a 75 gallon tank?

nflnutswif

Mybeautiful purple is in my 47.
THERE I flamed myself! I do believe NOW that he needs a bigger tank, He's getting big fast. BUT! He is happy and friendly with tank mates and my feeding fingers! We'll have a 110 this winter and it will be his new home!
Jus my .02

chandler04

Just like to HIGLIGHT that they need seaweed twice a day to simulate natural feeding habits, cuz they graze all day in the wild. You will need a clip for algae, and put a generous amount on morning and night.

stacyt

I agree with jw.
Also keep in mind that most purple are very aggressive. Chances are keeping them in a smaller tank will only make that aggression worse, and not just towards other tangs, but other fish in general.