Purple-up

azocean709

i bought a bottle of Purple UP just to see what it would do...personally, i think it is a waste of money. it says on the bottle that is adds calcium and iodine, but i don't see a change in any of my tests since i have been using it. to each his own i guess. JMO

azocean709

purple up is supposed to be a Coraline algae Accelerator. not a fertalizer, but an accelerator. it state..Qoute." NOT A FERTILIZER" Perple up incougages the growth of desirable pink and purple coralline algaes NOT nuisance algaes. ...Iodine replenishment, calcium, strontium magnesium,and carbonate.
Personally speaking...if it worked like is stated,,,i would not have to add mag and calcium , strontium and iodine. my levels of all those are right on key, and its not from that purple up.

fishieness

complete waste of money. adds too much Ca and iodine, esspecialy if you have a tank without a lot of corals, which most people looking to use this product do.

jeolson

never tried it but did use Coral-Vital expensive best bought through online stores in pet shops it cost around 45 for 16oz it will realy increase you coraline growth

nomad

I have used it and gotten excellent coralline growth with with it, just be sure to test calcium levels before adding. I just use when a boost is needed. I have Margargrite snails who dull my coralline.

dvst8r

ive been using B-IONIC to raise calcium and alk and since ive started using both tests have been through the roof very good stuff about 36 dollars for 2 big bottles

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by jeolson
never tried it but did use Coral-Vital expensive best bought through online stores in pet shops it cost around 45 for 16oz it will realy increase you coraline growth
I will second that. Marc Weiss' Coral Vital does numbers for your coralline algae growth.

fishieness

Originally Posted by DVST8R
ive been using B-IONIC to raise calcium and alk and since ive started using both tests have been through the roof very good stuff about 36 dollars for 2 big bottles
ummm.... if they are high, then thats a bad thing......

azocean709

Originally Posted by DVST8R
Bionic is high in COPPER. i don't recommend that crap to anyone. I have used it...and tested it with 4 differant testers. bad juju IMO.

merredeth

Originally Posted by 30gal4fish
would you recommend this product? it suppose to accelerate coraline algie and eliminate the bad one
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.....asp?E+scstore
please advise.
I've been using it for about three months in my aggressive tank and have started to see really beautiful results on rock.
The key is you already have to have correline algae in the tank for it to work. I seeded the tank by taking other pieces of rock and literally scraping it with a razor blade.
I recommend testing your tank for anything you are supplimenting your tank with so you don't overdose.
Denise M.

tru2037

This reply should be on the beginners mistakes forum! Anyhow I used up the entire bottle w/ great results on coraline algea(with time of course)BUT I didnt have a tester for calcium so by the time I did it was at 1400ppm
! The purple was turning to white from the calcium deposits. I am now just getting back to the high 500's, with only one coral death.
I wouldnt dis the product, it did at first help, but have a calcium tester!!

merredeth

Originally Posted by tru2037
This reply should be on the beginners mistakes forum! Anyhow I used up the entire bottle w/ great results on coraline algea(with time of course)BUT I didnt have a tester for calcium so by the time I did it was at 1400ppm
! The purple was turning to white from the calcium deposits. I am now just getting back to the high 500's, with only one coral death.
I wouldnt dis the product, it did at first help, but have a calcium tester!!
I believe on the bottle it even recommends testing for calcium if memory serves me correctly. Of course I'm tired, need coffee and my office is slowly heating up so my brain is still frostbitten so forgive me if I'm wrong. Who the hell turned down my heat anyway?

Denise M.

nofish4u!!

I just went to my LFS and bought 100 lbs of LR. It came with a TON of purple algea on it, sponges, other kinds of well established algea, a good number of hitchhikers.... I'm new to the SW world, but I am assuming that this is a good thing (I am praying it survives the cycle and so on..). Is there a way to help maintain all this and promote it's growth?

merredeth

Originally Posted by nofish4U!!
I just went to my LFS and bought 100 lbs of LR. It came with a TON of purple algea on it, sponges, other kinds of well established algea, a good number of hitchhikers.... I'm new to the SW world, but I am assuming that this is a good thing (I am praying it survives the cycle and so on..). Is there a way to help maintain all this and promote it's growth?
Before you add anything to water, you need a test so if you are thinking of using Purple Up like I do, get a calcium test and test your water so you don't have problems.
Keep all your levels in check and have adequate lighting and you should be good to go.
Yes, hitchhikers are a good gift provided you get good hitchers on the rock. Sometimes, you run into some bad things but you are getting ocean life and with this hobby you find predators on the rock. More than likely though if your LFS had it in his tank you should be okay.
Denise M.