Putting Fully Cured & Cycled LR in tank?

jpc763

Will the tank cycle?
I bought some LR off a reefer and transported it to my home. It was out of water for probably 8-12 hours. Then it got a fresh water scrubbing to get some bubble algae off. Then it went into a tank and cooked for a month.
It spiked ammonia, nitrite and then nitrate. All went back to zero.
I then moved it into a brand new tank with two new bags of LS. I tossed in 2 frozen shrimps and started testing the water.
I have seen a slight change in Ammonia, but definitely less than 0.25. I could really be zero and I just *want* to see a color difference.
Is it possible to have this tank not really cycle?
Thanks, John

sepulatian

If the rock was fully cured then it would have enough bacteria on it. It is possible for you to not see an ammonia spike. The process is still going on but the ammonia is being converted into nitrite quickly.

jpc763

So then I should see Nitrite? I ask because so far I cannot see it.

I don't want to start transfering livestock if the tank is not ready.
Thanks, John

Did you also swap your filters and water to your new tank, It may all still be the same other then the live sand. So.. the question would be the live sand

stanlalee

if you cured the rock already why did you add the shrimp? curing rock and cycling = same thing. you dont need to add the dead shrimp if you cured the rock. doesn't matter if you do it in the tank (cycling) or somewhere else (curing). take the dead shrimp out and wait for ammonia to drop back to zero (should happen in no time) and begin with the first livestock (a few clean up members).