QT and hospital tank

weesh

I'm trying to devise the end-all be-all strategy for quarantining fish and having a hospital tank in case fish in my display tank get ill during quarantine.
I'm running CopperSafe in the QT tank. If a fish in the display tank becomes ill and needs to be treated, is it OK to add the fish and the meds to the QT tank and QT and hospitalize in the same tank?
What's the best strategy to handle this? If I have to buy another tank, my wife will kill me.
->Ken

unleashed

you can easily do that by each time needing to qt or hospital tank fill when needed by using water from your exisiting tank .this eliminates the need for acclimating fish from main tank to qt .as for qt a new fish you may also fill the same way but will need to acclimate properly as normal to qt.i recomend bare bottom only to ensure medication wont overlap each other. if just acclimating your new fish to get accustom to capive enviroment place LR and a few hiding place even some macro algae to it they will naturally graze upon until ready to feed prepaired foods if the need to medicate arrizes then simply remove these few items and medicate as needed

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't use copper, or any medication prophylacticly. These medication are potent and most, as in copper, can also be harmful to the fish. So, you want to use these meds only when you have an identifiable disease that can be addressed by the medication.
There is extensive info for setting up a QT in the FAQ Thread at the top of the disease forum.