QT question

fishy7

Ok, a quick break down.
I am new to sw aquariums and from all the reading, it is VERY clear that I have to invest in a QT.
Is there are a way to connect a qt with the main display tank and then make it independent when it is time to qt new inhabitants?
I see my hands being full keeping one tank up and running.
Some details:
Setting up a 215
50 gal sump
Thanks for the help.

jasenhicks

I would keep it seperate... this way there is no comingling between the possible diseased QT tank and the display tank. If you ever do need to QT a fish, once HE's cured, all the stuff in the QT should be considered contaminated and shouldnt be allowed anywhere close to the display to prevent introducing disease to the DT.

bill f

Very simple tank setup. 10-20 gallon tank, biowheel filter, heater, 1 powerhead and some PVC tubing for them to provide a place to hide. No liverock or sand. You can use water from a waterchange in your display tank to fill and keep it topped off. Thats it.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by Bill F
Very simple tank setup. 10-20 gallon tank, biowheel filter, heater, 1 powerhead and some PVC tubing for them to provide a place to hide. No liverock or sand. You can use water from a waterchange in your display tank to fill and keep it topped off. Thats it.
But how do you keep a "good" water quality for 2 weeks while your fish is in QT???? That's the one part of QT I just don't get! Does the fliter take care of that?

ezee

crazyzeus1,
I am planning on careful monitoring and water changes, in additon to the filter. Based on what I have read.
E

thegrog

Keep the water quality up by doing 10% (like 1-2 gallons) changes every 3-4 days.
Another method that I have used very succesfully is to get a small sponge filter that connects to an air pump. I sit that in my main tank (sump preferred) and let it run there for a week or so. That way it picks up all the biofiltration from the main tank. Then place it into your QT tank and voila! Instant biofiltration!! Using this method along with the water changes from the main tank (NEVER from QT to main though), I have never had any ammonia or nitrite in my QT tank. Nitrates get to about 20 before the changes, that is it.
If you end up treating for disease in QT, pitch the sponge when you are done (they are like $5) or if you did not use any medication for the entire period, you can simply rinse it out and reuse it for next time.

fishy7

THANKS for the words of advice. I can just buy a prepackeaged tank and call it a day!
Appreciate the help! :joy:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by TheGrog
Keep the water quality up by doing 10% (like 1-2 gallons) changes every 3-4 days.
Another method that I have used very succesfully is to get a small sponge filter that connects to an air pump. I sit that in my main tank (sump preferred) and let it run there for a week or so. That way it picks up all the biofiltration from the main tank. Then place it into your QT tank and voila! Instant biofiltration!! Using this method along with the water changes from the main tank (NEVER from QT to main though), I have never had any ammonia or nitrite in my QT tank. Nitrates get to about 20 before the changes, that is it.
If you end up treating for disease in QT, pitch the sponge when you are done (they are like $5) or if you did not use any medication for the entire period, you can simply rinse it out and reuse it for next time.

This is the standard method used to for maintaining QT viable. And it works very well.