QT ?'s...Hey Monalisa you out there?

clownme

I have my QT 10 gal tank set up w/heater and a Cascade 80 filter. How much LR should I add to get the tank cycled? Is the Cascade 80 filter enough or should I switch to a sponge filter?
My main tank is doing great in it's cycle and will be looking to get a cleaner crew in a few weeks; do they need to go into the QT? or just drip method them into main tank and only fish go into QT?
God i'm so confused. :help:
Monalisa....I know you had similiar questions....I was hoping to learn from your experience also!

monalisa

Originally Posted by Clownme
I have my QT 10 gal tank set up w/heater and a Cascade 80 filter. How much LR should I add to get the tank cycled? Is the Cascade 80 filter enough or should I switch to a sponge filter?
My main tank is doing great in it's cycle and will be looking to get a cleaner crew in a few weeks; do they need to go into the QT? or just drip method them into main tank and only fish go into QT?
God i'm so confused. :help:
Monalisa....I know you had similiar questions....I was hoping to learn from your experience also!
Clownme,
It's been my experience that with a brand new tank, follow the acclimation process posted on this site (AFTER the cycle process is complete). I've done that from the start, and I haven't had a problem (especially with clean up crew)...this is a little more involved with inverts such as starfish, and with with fish inhabitants. Please be sure to follow to the letter, and then some (more time never hurts)...it's worked great for me and I'm sure it'll work great for you. I don't have a QT at this point, but I'm in the process of researching the process of setting one up...I DO definitely plan on setting one up though.
Lisa :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Add the sponge filter and keep the other one! Can never have enough. You can add as much LR as you can spare, just be sure NOT to add any fish or meds until the LR is out. Be sure to feed the LR a bit every day to keep it "alive". You may want to reat the FAQ in the Disease Forum. There is info on QT there.
Great that you're are setting one up. You won't be sorry.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Beth
Add the sponge filter and keep the other one! Can never have enough. You can add as much LR as you can spare, just be sure NOT to add any fish or meds until the LR is out. Be sure to feed the LR a bit every day to keep it "alive". You may want to reat the FAQ in the Disease Forum. There is info on QT there.
Great that you're are setting one up. You won't be sorry.
Beth,
I actually have a 20 gal tank that needs some serious cleaning (used to be freshwater). Once it's cleaned, in a QT, do I need LR? And if so, doesn't that make catching my "patients" healthy enough to go back into the main tank hard??? I've been reading that I could just add a filter and put some of the take out water from my water changes...is this right??? What about substrate. This whole QT thing is really confusing to me too!! :thinking:
Please, for me and clownme, step by step would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

scoobydoo

Good luck. I didn't have a QT when I had my 29g. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I upgraded to a 125g and use by 29g has a QT so my setup was pretty easy. It was an Eclipse so the biowheel already had bacteria in it and I used the water from my water changes. Now I do a water change on the QT at the same time as the main tank so my water stays pretty even.

monalisa

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Good luck. I didn't have a QT when I had my 29g. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I upgraded to a 125g and use by 29g has a QT so my setup was pretty easy. It was an Eclipse so the biowheel already had bacteria in it and I used the water from my water changes. Now I do a water change on the QT at the same time as the main tank so my water stays pretty even.
Yeah, that's my plan...can't wait to get it going....I'm also planning (after the new year} to start a specimen tank. But I have to wait and see how everything else goes.

clownme

Originally Posted by scoobydoo

The bio-wheel was something I considered instead of a sponge filter...oh what to do. I found a DIY on making a sponge filter. The only thing it doesn't show, and maybe I'm stupid, but when you connect the pipe that comes out of the sponge to a PH, what do you connect that to??? or do I just connect the pipe from the sponge right to the arm for the filter and let the filter suck up the water. They left out that part.... :yes: