Qt tank set up/ Cycle

apgracia

Could I use water,sand and live rock from an existing tank to set up a qt tank. Or will it start the qt on a cycle. I would like to set up a QT as fast as I can. I would think this would be like a tank move or upgrade? IE moving a 75 gal set up to a 150.

fishwanabe

im not sure but i dont think you want anything in a QT other than h2o and a pvc tube that the fish can hide in, there is a lot of info in the archives that you can look at. good luck

geridoc

You could use a small amount of substrate from an established tank to seed your QT. Otherwise, you want a pretty bare tank with some PVC for shelter and a HOB filter with a sponge in it that has been in your main tank so has bacteria on it. LR and sand can absorb medications, should it become necessary to treat your fish.

dmjordan

you shouldn't use rock or substrate in a qt tank. the best thing to do is to use the water from your main tank to fill the qt tank up. place a piece of filter foam in your main tank for about a week or two so it can get some bacteria to grow on it. place the sponge into your qt tank. use pvc tubing for places for fish to feel safe and reduce stress.