QT Tank

atf88

Instead of having my QT tank always running and what not...could i just syphon some water from my main tank into the QT tank when I need it??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tarhull87

I was wondering the same thing as well/
I've got a 10 gallon tank and I got a syphon... So can I just put some tank water in there and then put my blue damsel in there with a powerhead and give him some medication for "fin rot", what is the most common medication for that?

elfdoctors

A QT can certainly be used only on an occasional basis. Starting it with water from your existing tank is a smart idea as this decreases any stress associated with moving your fish from one tank to another.
The major disadvantage of this is that even though you are using water from an established tank, your tank has not cycled. Be careful about ammonia or nitrite spikes as these can kill your fish. (I learned that lesson the hard way when I first set up my QT).
There is a good thread under the FAQ section of the Disease and Treatment Forum which details setting up a QT.

atf88

so even if i use established water in a tank without any LS or LR, i still have to cycle it? would i have to re cycle everytime I need it? and would it be ok to just put in some water conditioner to keep the water good?

elfdoctors

Most of the time, your goal would be to NOT have the tank cycle. If you had lots of time, cycling would be a good idea. If you are only using the tank occasionally there will not be enough bacteria in the tank water to handle a large amount of fish waste.
To prevent a tank from cycling (i.e. having an ammonia or nitrite spike to stimulate beneficial bacterial growth), frequent water changes are essential. In addition the tank should be lightly stocked (no more then 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons). The fish should also be fed little (to decrease formation of wastes). I have little experience with water conditioners but they could probably be used if you do experience detectable ammonia or nitrites. (Obviously you will need to check the water frequently).

droth335

One way to minimize (eliminate?) the cycle is to not only use water from your established tank but also have your filter for the QT established in your main tank. I do this by having my sponge filters (I use 2 in my QT) for the QT in a chamber in my sump of the main tank. I believe this keeps the filters seeded with bacteria.
I did this out of necessity when I had to tear down my QT due to a remodeling project but felt it was very helpful. If there was a cycle at all when I set it up it was very minimal.