QT water

catahoulas

I have a 10g qt it has already cycled awhile ago. Since nothing has been in it for awhile , do I need to do a water change before purchasing a fish? Still very new at this. I'm looking for a pair of clowns. What's the best way to keep them healthy? :help:

gmidd

Test the waters I don't think you need to do a complete water change, but I'm sure you'll want to do a little. If your keeping your QT tank up then you need to maintain it like you would your DT. Weekly 10% water changes, cleaning the filter. Not sure if you need to throw a little food in there to keep the Bio cycle going?

catahoulas

Anyone else? Thanks that is actualy was the concern if I lost my cycle. I'm ready for more fish. I start a new job Monday and it's going to be difficult to get to the lfs on fish day. So i was trying to be prepared.

michaeltx

with a QT tank its best to add a pinch of food to every once in awhile to allow the bacteria something to feed on. without any food the bacteria will start to die-off and when you add another fish to go into QT you will have a spike in your readings because there isnt enough bacteria to cover the load.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
with a QT tank its best to add a pinch of food to every once in awhile to allow the bacteria something to feed on. without any food the bacteria will start to die-off and when you add another fish to go into QT you will have a spike in your readings because there isnt enough bacteria to cover the load.
Mike
I completely agree
If you want to check to be certain your bacteria is still alive, throw some food in now and let it sit. You should see the ammonia rise in a day or two and then come right back down. If it doesn't come right back down then add a little more food. Get the ammonia to spike to 1ppm and then wait for the nitrite to spike and hit zero (re-cycle the tank) before adding your next fish.

catahoulas

Thanks for the help. I kind of thought this but wasn't to sure. I thank ya'll for guiding me. I just got finished adding somemore reef rock to my 46g, about 15lbs. I already have 15 lbs. of rr and 30lbs. of lr. It gave my tank so much more texture and life I just want more fish now. Thanks again.