QT who uses and who don't and why?

noah's ark

Just curious if a QT is used often and for what main purposes? It just seems like a PIA to keep another tank ready for SW fish. Is is necessary after you tank is stocked and you dont plan on purschasing more. Thanks for any input.
Tonia :thinking:

moray345

It is to make sure and check for diseases on your fish before you put them in the MT
HTH,
Moray345

dvs

The main reason I would keep one is if one of your fish gets sick, you want to get that one out of the main tank and into the QT so it doesnt contaminate any of your other livestock! Just one reason!
:yes:
Jen

larrynews

i dont have one, and i payed the price in the summer lost alot of fish...my problem is i have so much rock if they get sick once they're in the main tank i can't get them out....

darthmatt

I don't think you need to have it set up all the time if your done stocking. The question is, how fast can you set it back up if a fish gets sick. Using water from the main tank, it doesnt take any time at all.

loopy

Take it from me, I learned the hard way. IF you ever need to treat with copper and you have live rock or inverts...etc...the copper will kill the inverts and live rock....at least I've been told it will kill the live rock. You don't want to treat in your main tank if you don't have too. I treated for ICK in my main tank...and everything including the silicone (?) holding the glasss together gets stained blue and it's there forever. I have set up a qt as I learned the hard way. YES it is hard, really hard to catch a fish in a set up with losta stuff main tank, but it can be done if you are sneaky, and have two people....we have a 'method'...anyway, IMO I would use one, cost me big $$$ when I didn't and now afraid to add fish without one. Also use it for my hospital tank obviously! Lots don't, personal thing I guess.

jacknjill

i just have an empty 10 gallon tank that i use when i need it. i dont keep it set up constantly. all i do is use water from my main tank, throw on a heater and an old penguin filter and its good to go. i can set it up in minutes if i need too. i used it to treat an ich breakout with copper

shawnhardy

I agree that they are nice to have for treatment of disease as other people have mentioned. The other reason people use them is for new fish. I think it depends on teh quality of the LFS. A store in my area puts all fish in a QT for two weeks before allowing purchase. Their QT has copper in it too. I feel safe in taking a fish from their QT and putting in my tank without my own quarantine.

cubfan

I agree with those who can set up a hospital tank in minutes. I have a 10 and 20 gallon available and can build a hospital tank in no time. It's always a good idea to QT new arrivals for 10 to 14 days before putting them in your main tank. My QT tank runs bare bottom, with an el-cheapo heater and hang-on filter and a piece of PVC pipe for hiding.