Qt

slosurfer

I just got a 20 gallon qt tank. I already have some old lights that I can use on it and plan to buy a cheap heater and filter. Would this be an alright set up? Any suggestions are appreciated

beth

Administrator
Staff member
slosurfer, sounds like you're good to go. Glad to hear that you're going to set one up! What filter are you going to use? Don't forget to paint the bottom black before you start to set it up.
The FAQ Thread has QT advise.

slosurfer

I dont know what I'm going to use yet, but I just read the FAQ and that pretty much told me all I need to know. Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
glad to hear that you decided to start using a QT. It really is the best choice for fish owners.

slosurfer

my qt tank is up and running and I'd like to put my clown and yellow watchman goby in it tonight, but the hardware store is closed and I only have one piece of pvc pipe. Is there anything else I could use? or would it be ok to leave them without much to hide behind for the night?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't mention that you had a problem with sick fish. What is the problem? Or do you want to add new fish? [reference other thread].
You should have hiding spots in QT before fish go in. Please give some detials as to why you are adding fish.

slosurfer

yea, good idea about the one thread. I wasn't sure that I was going to have to treat the fish I have in my main tank, but they seem to be getting worse. My clown is scratching on the bottom, and my watchman just did for the first time today. Neither have any white spots on them, but I still am pretty sure it's ich. I know you wouldn't suggest it, but I'm going to treat them with copper because I'm going out of town and I know my mom wouldn't be able to handle doing hyposalinity. And tomorrow I'll be sure to get some more pvc pipe before I put the fish in the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I can not recommend at all putting copper in a new tank [uncycled]. Copper will kill off your biofilter [what little there is in a new tank] leaving you with a completely uncycled tank. You can not just put copper in the tank. Copper readings have to be monitored daily and medication adjusted.
How long are you going to be out of town??

slosurfer

I'm going to be gone for 10 days, and would it help that 50% of the water I used for the qt is from my main tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
With copper you have to test daily to maintain the copper levels needed to cure the ich. No, it wouldn't help, copper really kills off even the best biofilter.
How bad is the ich, and when are you leaving?

slosurfer

I dont leave for two weeks, but I wouldn't be able to get the money for a refractometer until this friday when I get paid. The ich doesn't seem really bad, but my clown seems to spaz out and he'll swim really fast around the tank and then scratch on the bottom. He does this routine a few times a day

beth

Administrator
Staff member
In that case go ahead and begin lowering the salinity using a glass hydrometer. Don't use the swing arm as they are totally inaccurate. Just lowering the salinity to "within" the target of hypo will definately effect the parasite, though it will not necessarily kill it all off. Then, when you get your refractometer, you can be more precise. Better to leave your fish in hypo then in copper. Add a few cups of sand from your display in the QT.

slosurfer

alright, sounds like a good plan. I might add a new fish to the qt as well so I can treat him in case he has ich. I'm considering some type of dwarf angel. Would it be ok to add one to the qt along with my perc and goby? Any suggestions on which type of angel to get?

elfdoctors

Originally posted by slosurfer
I might add a new fish to the qt as well so I can treat him in case he has ich. I'm considering some type of dwarf angel. Would it be ok to add one to the qt along with my perc and goby? Any suggestions on which type of angel to get?

I would be careful about doing that. Do not overstock a hospital tank if you can avoid doing so. They are more likely to have readings get worse (especially pH).
Dwarf angels can occasionally become aggressive. I love my flame angel that I bought from this site but made sure that I added him towards the end of my stocking to decrease the possibility of tank aggression. It has been very peaceful and has left my corals alone.