QT

flower

Yes, it should be fine. Make sure it has a piece of PVC or a tank decoration, to be able to hide and feel more secure. Only put the lights on to feed, the ambient light is enough, and keeping the tank dim will help ease stress. When you feed the fish and lights are on, check for signs of disease and parasites.

mauler

He has ich I've started hypo. I don't have a light for that tank yet so it only gets light when I'm home which I guess works out. I guess I'm off to go get some PVC

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to observe the fish closely during QT time to ensure that they are clear of ich. I'd suggest using a magnifying glass to give them a good look 2x daily.

mauler

I ned to get one of those too but I'm concerned about the tank being to small he's probably 4 1/2-5" in a 2'x12" tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What is your alternative? Are you contemplating setting up a larger QT? It is too small for a 4" fish, but you'll have to make it work with top notch care while he is in quarantine.

mauler

My only alternative is hypoing my DT with him there but I don't want to do that. So I'll just keep an eye on him and keep up on water care

jay0705

Honestly , even if u could up grade you would just stress him out more moving him yet again. I kept s fox,2 clowns, royal gramma all in a 20 gal for 4 wks as my qt all ended up in the display just fine.

flower

Don't do Hypo unless you have a refractometer. You also need either a nano power head or an air line (no stone). There is less oxygen in a SW tank then a freshwater one and you must have movement of the water for good gas exchange. I attach an air line to the PVC via rubbberband when I do quarantine or hospital tank.

mauler

Don't do Hypo unless you have a refractometer. You also need either a nano power head or an air line (no stone). There is less oxygen in a SW tank then a freshwater one and you must have movement of the water for good gas exchange. I attach an air line to the PVC via rubbberband when I do quarantine or hospital tank.
I got a refractometer a few weeks ago and I have a 200gph and 800gph powerhead in the QT