Quality Heaters

broomer5

I'm looking to get new heaters for my tanks.
Has anyone used the Hagen Tronic submersible units before?
I've narrowed it down to either
Tronics
Rena Cal Excel
Visi-Therm
Any good or bad comments you'd like to share would be great.
Thanks

drkegel

If you're looking for the best GLASS heater money can buy, Ebo-Jager are bar none hands down the best there is. They are made with thicker glass and triple-sealed (rather than doubel sealed) to insure water resistance and durability. I just recently discovered these, and as an engineer, am very impressed with their design. Someone did their homework!
However, the other heaters mentioned are also fine products, and a bit less money. It's probably not really necessary to have the triple seal, but the thciker glass does make it harder to break it from an accidental jolt.

F

fossilcrab

I use and abuse Visi-therm (200 watts). It has a good visual adjustment for setting your temp. Very cool !

kdlbem

I run an Ebo- Jager on my show tank(works great). And a Visi-Therm on my brackish puffer tank(works great too). I'd buy either brand again.
HTH,
B

royce

I did some reading and chose an Ebo-Jager for my new tank, and inherited the Visi-Therm which is currently on my old tank. Both work great and keep the temp. very steady although I think the Visi-Therm runs ~2 degrees warmer than I set it for, so I just set it a little lower.

underthesea

All the heaters you chose are great I my self use ebo-jager. But plenty of my friends use Rena-cal. They love them and they are very acurate.

option720

I run a Tronic Heater and am very happy wiht it. I have had LR fall on it and it has stood the test of time in my opinion. I really like mine.

nyy fan

I have one made by Commodity Axis/Via Aqua. It is a 200W heater with a titanium tube. I don't know how good it is, but it keeps the tank stable.

fshhub

personally i have not had problems with visitherms, but i like the ebo jabbers
butif i were to do it again, i would seriously look into the titanium heaters

ewiski

i am thinking about getting one of those titanium heaters.i use tronic and find them hard to set the temp.

broomer5

Okay - Titanium Heaters - another option tossed into the decision process LOL
Again I really appreciate all the feedback - many heaters to choose from.
By the time I decide it will be summer and I'll be asking you guys about chillers :p
See ya

krux

On a side note, ive got some algae building up on my heater.... should i just scrape it off or will my snails eventually work their way around to it and clean it (worried about burned feet)? Just got the snals a couple days ago and they are still grazing on the rock I set them on so not sure if they will eat on the heat.

broomer5

Resurrecting this again.
krux,
You can remove the heater now and they and wipe it clean. There are also plastic protective slotted sleeves for many heaters to protect your livestock.
Back to these titanium heaters.
I looked at one at lfs yesterday called Pro Heat, manufactured by WON Brothers Inc. ( never heard of them ) - and while reading the installation guide, it said it had to be mounted in a "vertical" position for it to operate properly. Showed a picture of an "in tank" installation only.
Not practical for my sump set up.
I like the design and integrated circuit, with the temperature set point controls external to the unit.
Anyone know anthing about titanium heaters that can be mounted horizontal.
Thanks in advance.