quarantine tank, sting ray, hyposalinity ?

jc78240

Hello. thanks for all the wonderful info on this form. Advice please. I have a 180 gallon aquarium with a sting ray, clown fish, flame angel, blue spotted gobby. 6 months later ich. ( I suspect I had ich day one with the flame angel, but didn't believe even a minor outbreak should be treated because of my routine maint and great filtration system i have, but I was wrong and like the smart people say it will become full blown ich at sometime and there fore should be treated, I learned, to all of you who said that, u are right it did become full blown ich...I should have listened to the post. My question is I have set up a quarantine tank, my plan is to pull all of the fish in the quarantine tank except the stingray and cleaner crew, outlined by Beth recommendations on how to set up the quarantine tank. However, when I introduce the fish back into the main tank, is it a correct assumption that the sting ray and cleaner crews(crabs, snails) will not be a continued host for ich and therefor because all of my fish are out except the sting ray, that the ich in the main tank should be dead in the 4-6 week period because the sting ray will not be a host to the ich in the main tank?

unleashed

correct rays and sharks and eels skin is too thick for the paresite to live on they cannot normally get ich.just keep them in the main tank.but my question is if your taking the fish out of the main tank why dont you fully treat them to erraticate the paresite.most use hypo when they cannot remove all of the fish because medications can cause harm to inverts and LR.but hypo is stressful to fish by itself.you double the stress load by moving them to a QT then hypo.and its not always 100% effective.I just dont understand it

jc78240

Good question. My fear of treating main tank was that i didn't believe stingrays would tolerate hyposalin, which is the treatment I was going to do. I feared if I treated the main tank and move the stingray out he wouldnt make it in the quarantine tank since it is new and hasn't cycled yet, even if I took out some filter pad from the main tank to seed it. I am definately open to suggestions. Thanks.