Quarantine tank

zoboo2

Ok I know there must be a place to look up this info somewhere on these boards but I can't seem to find it so here's my question, when setting up the quarantine tank I see alot of people saying set up a long 20 gallon, if small saltwater tanks are so hard to keep running correctly, how can I get my QT to stay cycled and not crash? What all should I have in it? Since it is going to be running all the time should I keep some LR and small fish in it or would those fish just get sick from any disease carrying newbies? Sorry about all the ?'s I am just sooooo new at this!

greg2424

You cant put any live rock in there because the copper will kill the live rock
I dont do anything to mine i just keep a eye on my readings change the water once in a while thats about it

jumpfrog

Somepeople will keep a sponge in their sump or fit their quarantine tank with the same hob filter as their main tank. When you need qt just move the sponge (now filled with bacteria) or swap out a filter pad from the main tank and you have the bacteria needed.
Other than that you shouldn't put anything else in the tank. Some folks just put in some pvc or some other inert item to give the fish some sense of cover.