Quarintine Tanks

xxxespoxxx

Whats the best way to start 1 up? Like should i do a water change in my DT and use the water change water to start it up ...or do a smaller water change in the DT and the other have with new salt...

M

markeo99

heres what I did take a couple cups of sand from fuge or display a couple rocks from same and fill with water from display also.
leave the rocks in there for a week or 2 the bacteria will move form the rocks and colonize all over then when you are ready to use the tank for qt or hypo or whatever remove the rocks

xxxespoxxx

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2633154
heres what I did take a couple cups of sand from fuge or display a couple rocks from same and fill with water from display also.
leave the rocks in there for a week or 2 the bacteria will move form the rocks and colonize all over then when you are ready to use the tank for qt or hypo or whatever remove the rocks
How important is it that i need sand and rock in the QT...i wasen't planning on putting anything just leaving it bare and maybe something small for the fish to hide in.

T

tizzo

No rock!! No sand! PVC will work for the fish to hide in.
If your QT turns into a hospital tank then fauna in rock and sand will die off and cause aq spike.
If you do put in sand from your DT, try to make sure there are no pods in it.
Ghost feed it. That food will rot and your "cycle" will begin. After it's cycled, it's good for a fish.
HTH

xxxespoxxx

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2633262
No rock!! No sand! PVC will work for the fish to hide in.
If your QT turns into a hospital tank then fauna in rock and sand will die off and cause aq spike.
If you do put in sand from your DT, try to make sure there are no pods in it.
Ghost feed it. That food will rot and your "cycle" will begin. After it's cycled, it's good for a fish.
HTH
ya it's pretty much a hospital tank...What the heck does PVC stand for....don't laugh i'm a rookie.....and your reply is saying that i do need rock

sepulatian

Originally Posted by xXxEsPoxXx
http:///forum/post/2633266
ya it's pretty much a hospital tank...What the heck does PVC stand for....don't laugh i'm a rookie.....and your reply is saying that i do need rock

PVC is white, plastic pipe. You can pick it up at your hardware store. Just get a few sections of it. Get a size around that is big enough for your fish to hide in. It is just for shelter. You can use fake aquarium decorations if you would prefer or a combination of both. The PVC is nice because the fish can actually go into it and feel secure. You can add a cup or two of your sand from the display. This will give the tank some biological filtration. You can add a few pieces of rock if you want to. Please understand that the rock has to be removed before you begin treatment. It will help to add more biological bacteria into the tank in the mean time. You may also want to use a filter pad from the display in the QT. The more biological bacteria that you can get in there the better.

xxxespoxxx

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2633343
PVC is white, plastic pipe. You can pick it up at your hardware store. Just get a few sections of it. Get a size around that is big enough for your fish to hide in. It is just for shelter. You can use fake aquarium decorations if you would prefer or a combination of both. The PVC is nice because the fish can actually go into it and feel secure. You can add a cup or two of your sand from the display. This will give the tank some biological filtration. You can add a few pieces of rock if you want to. Please understand that the rock has to be removed before you begin treatment. It will help to add more biological bacteria into the tank in the mean time. You may also want to use a filter pad from the display in the QT. The more biological bacteria that you can get in there the better.
Thanks for breaking it down for me to understand, but let say i don't add sand and i don't use rock.. just a bare aquarium with the PVC like you had suggested....the filter which is suitable for a 35 gal aquarium (but mine is only a 20 gal) skimmer heater..etc...whats the worst can happen

T

tizzo

You said this is going to be a hospital tank. What kind of treatment sre you planning? or is that yet to be deturmined?
I kinda like to refer to a QT as a "poor man's tank". It's ran and maintained just like any tank. Only there is NO rock or substrate, and as sep said, fake plastic decorations.
Anyway, to answer your question, the worst that can happen depends on you. Over stocking, not letting it fully cycle, etc...

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2633355
Thanks for breaking it down for me to understand, but let say i don't add sand and i don't use rock.. just a bare aquarium with the PVC like you had suggested....the filter which is suitable for a 35 gal aquarium (but mine is only a 20 gal) skimmer heater..etc...whats the worst can happen
You will not need the skimmer. Are you setting this up to treat the fish from your display? The worst that can happen if you don't allow the tank to cycle, and have no biological filtration, is that the ammonia will spike and you will be doing MANY water changes. If the ammonia spikes and is not lowered then it could kill your fish. If you have the time to properly cycle the tank then it will be fine.

xxxespoxxx

The QT tank at the moment is only for a setup. In the event that one of the fish get sick that will be the tank that the treatments would be preformed in.
So now we just got back from the LFS and we purchased a Ship(made of resin). They said to wash it with warm water and soap aswell i could bleach it. What do you guys suggest in the procedure of this before putting it in the QT(hospital tank)? Or is it even a good idea having it in there because it is a tank for treatment and the resin that its made from may have an affect? Aswell should i stiill stick to the plan and add some LS and a lil of LR for the start process. If so how much sand from the DT. Keep in mind the QT tank I have is 20gal...

M

markeo99

I was only speaking of the rock as a way to cycle your tank fast you remove it after your tank is cycled and before you use it its purely for the bacteria

M

markeo99

and you dont have to use any sand if you do not want to I have a 20 long and I just put a dusting like a 1/4 inch it cut out the glare off the bottom cause I didnt paint it and I believe it helps buffer and keep my ph good

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2633554
The QT tank at the moment is only for a setup. In the event that one of the fish get sick that will be the tank that the treatments would be preformed in.
So now we just got back from the LFS and we purchased a Ship(made of resin). They said to wash it with warm water and soap aswell i could bleach it. What do you guys suggest in the procedure of this before putting it in the QT(hospital tank)? Or is it even a good idea having it in there because it is a tank for treatment and the resin that its made from may have an affect? Aswell should i stiill stick to the plan and add some LS and a lil of LR for the start process. If so how much sand from the DT. Keep in mind the QT tank I have is 20gal...
Don't use soap. You can use some white vinegar if you want on the ship. You could use bleach but then you would have to soak it in plain water with dechlorinator for a day or two. If this tank is not being used for an emergency then you can skip the sand. The rock is good to cycle the tank with. Add an ammonia source such as some fish food.

florida joe

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2633343
I am really new at this, if you are saying PVC stands for plastic pipe why is it not called PP.
I always thought PVC stood for Polyvinyl chloride pipe

sepulatian

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2634007
I am really new at this, if you are saying PVC stands for plastic pipe why is it not called PP.
I always thought PVC stood for Polyvinyl chloride pipe

Funny, Funny, Fella
I don't know what it stands for. It is white and plasticy looking. Technical terms here