queen angel prob.

topfish2

Hello, I just got a queen angel. Hes doin good but he has this red blotch on a scale or two. And when he swims he twitches every 10 seconds or so. No scratching but just twiching while swimming. Any ideas? Thanks!

almarktool

what tank is he in i hope your quaritnie tank ?? need some more info on tank size what is in the tank and your water parms

topfish2

The twiching has stopped, but the red blotch is still there. I do not have a qt, but the tank is a 240 gallon. I dont understand what more i can add.

almarktool

when was tank setup?
when did it complete it's cycle ?
tankmates?
last water change?
amonia?
nitrates?
nitrites?
Sg?
ph?
do u have lr?
do you have LS or CC
what type of filters?

topfish2

almost 1 year ago
1 month after tank setup
2 weeks
amonia-0, nitrite-0, ph-8.2, salinity is .021
TONS of lr, it's about 3/4 filled up from bottom to top, will end adding lr when it is all the way to the top.
cc
Wet dry filter for 300 gallon, protein skimmer for 300 gallon, large filter bag in sump, utraviolet sterilizer

petekm1987

I had the same prob. with my Blue angel which is also called a false Queen Angel. What you need to do is check your Nitrate levels before you do anything. Are they to High? Well then you need to do a water change. Wait a day or two. Then check it again. It should be good. THen I used a thing called Maracyn. It is great stuff. I also used a little bit of a Copper treatment. It would be best if you used a Hospital tank. But if you can't, that is ok to. Hope this helps and go by the directions on the Maracyn box.
Pete

dubba-r

ooohh...no copper in the main tank! With all that LR, you will never get copper out of that tank. What I do with my queen is I feed garlic soaked foods atleast once a week just as a precaution. I use the Mccormick brand one.