Queen Angel

tlarsen

Can anyone give me some info on a Queen Angel? I just came from our local fish store and there is a beautiful one there. I'd love to bring it home, but before I make a $100.00 investment I'd like to know if they are easy to keep. I have a 150 gallon tank with clowns, pacific blue tang, yellow tang, flame angel, and a damsel with an attitude.

tangcrazy

I think Queen Angels are one of the most beautiful fish I have seen, but I also think typically you are supposed to buy them as juveniles as they will adapt better to aquarium life, I'm assumming a $100.00 one may be more of an adult?? Anyway, I would ask to see them feed it, and make sure that it eats well, make sure that it looks healthy, clear fins, clear eyes. From my understanding, Queen Angels, are supposed to be fairly hardy as far as angels go. Angels will also do better if they have a systam that has already been well established, with a lot of good hiding places, and have a protein skimmer. I say go for it, and good luck!! :D

fishgod

Sure! If your paying $100.00 you should be getting fish food and a little bit of live rock for that price. Is the fish still a juvenile, or is it an adult specimen? YOu should try to get a specimen aaround 4-5" and feed it angel formula, live brine soaked in selcon, mysis, cut-up shellfish, and some sort of algae be it seaweed selects of some of the tableted algae foods. Stay away from lettuce and other terrestrial plants! This angel will grow to aabout 12". Give it a 2 week Q-tine, and provide plenty of hiding places and your should have a qreat aquarium fish!

jonthefb

where are you from in the midwest tlarsen? My lfs had one for sale to in Pueblo Colorado, it was a juvenile and i think they were asking 100 bucks for it! Just wondering!
jon

ek

I bought one for $150 it was beutiful but it died 2 days later. I still don't no why. It ate swam around nicely it was a plesure to watch. I had then a 55gl now I have 150gl so I"ll try again.

peasly1

100.00 is not a bad price,one of my favorites but I still dont have one because I dont think my water is up to par and that is a must for this fish...aqua size should be min..180 gal..fish should be last to be added to tank..very agressive towards new fish and fish of its own kind..not reef recomended ..max size is about 17-18 in..good luck....and tank should be an already well established one of over one year

big dave

Geez, thats a lot for that size Queen! At the LFS I work at, we sell for juvi-(1-3)in $40, sub adult-(4-6in.)$80 and adult (7-9in.)$100. Once we special ordered a real briusier (1 foot) and it went for $200. All of our Caribbean fish are very cheap cuz we get them direct from a Florida wholesaler, not a West Coast wholesaler. I mean, hey, lookdowns on a West Coast list are $85. on the Caribean, $20. Buying direct from Florida is better cuz the fish aren't subjected to as much moving stress.